CZ > CZ :-)

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by dzurisova, Apr 11, 2011.

1. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

So I have a few names I'm hoping you all can help me learn the "sweet" way to say them. Ex Bara > Baruška, Ava > Evička

Men
    Martin
    Zdenek
    Honza
    Adam
    Aleš
    Mito
    Libor
    Jano
    Jaro
    Milan

Women
    Liba
    Jana
    Vlasta

Also, if you don't mind, after you write the "sweet" way, then please write it in the vocative form. ex: Ava > Evička > Evičko

Thanks for you help :)

2. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Men
    Martin: Martínek - Martínku; Marťa - Marťo
    Zdenek: Zdeněček - Zdeněčku, Zdeňa - Zdeni
    Honza (Jan): Honzík - Honzíku; Honzíček - Honzíčku; Jenda - Jendo; Jeník - Jeníku; Jeníček - Jeníčku; Janíček - Janíčku; Janeček - Janečku; Janík - Janíku; Janeček - Janečku
    Adam: Adámek - Adámku
    Aleš: Alešek - Alešku
    Mito - I do not know such a Czech name
    Libor: Liborek - Liborku
    Jano - Slovak form of Jan
    Jaro - Slovak diminutive form of Jaroslav or Jaromír
    Milan: Milánek - Milánku

Women
    Liba (Libuše): Libuška - Libuško; Libunka - Libunko; Bunka - Bunko
    Jana: Janička - Janičko; Janinka - Janinko
    Vlasta: Vlastička - Valstičko; Vlastinka - Vlastinko

3. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

thanks, yeah, Mita is a nickname that came from a long story. As for Jano and Jaro, yeah, they are slovak. Wow, I didn't realize you guys were even seperated by names :)

4. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Is Jaro strictly a Slovak diminutive? I have at least one Czech friend (from Jihlava) that went by Jaro (Jaroslav). Maybe it's an adopted form, but I'm not sure.

5. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Are you sure it was Jaro (with short a)? Járo is vocative of a very common Czech diminutive Jára (Jaroslav or Jaromír). After all, Czech is such a rich language (namely spoken or common) that any nick name or diminutive can be used. One of my friends is called Miťka, but his birth certificate says he is Jaromír.

6. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Masculines with nominative ending -o are rare in Czech. For Czechs, the -o ending is archetypal of neutre.

Practically all words of Czech provenience ending in -o are neutres by origin. They are only exceptionally used in different genders when used as characteristics of person (e.g. lamželezo or various neutres turned into names). These words always preserves the flavour of being neutres.

Practically all loanwords ending in -o, with exception of names of persons, are without mercy neutralized. Foreign names ending in -o always sound distinctively foreign to Czech ears (Jaro, Miro, Paľo, Fero... -> Slovak; Dežo, Fero -> Gypsy; Ivo, Kvído, Hugo, Oto... -> just foreign). In fact, by using a name ending in -o you can effectivelly label a person as foreigner.

7. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Hmmm ... interesting. No, I'm not sure if it was a short a or long a. And now that you mention it, I'm not sure if the usage was strictly in the vocative or not. You're probably right, since I don't recall this friend having any Slovak family.