When we were sick, our mom called us uchachany?

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by anthony77963, Apr 10, 2013.

1. anthony77963

anthony77963 New Member

We grew up in south Texas. As kids, when we were sick Mom would call us uchachany. Is that correct, and how does it translate in English?
    Thanks for your help!

2. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Hmm, I'm not sure what she meant. How do you pronounce it and can you provide a little more context? When did she say it? When you had a cough (ukašlaný)?

3. Sigma

Sigma Well-Known Member

4. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

But "uchachany" in Polish means "happy, smiley, giggly".

I've also thought of another possible word that the poster may be referring to - "uchrchlaný". I recently caught myself saying it about someone who had a cold and was coughing a lot.

5. anthony77963

anthony77963 New Member

My mistake. I posted the original comment and didn't follow up. Thanks, you guys, for replying. Our mom would say that word sort of like, "Anthony, are you feeling uchachany?", (most often when I was ill).

She pronounced it as oo-cha-cha'-nee.

When we visited our Grandma Novak in El Campo, we would call her something like Stazhankha. Something Mom wanted us to call her.

Pronounced: Stah-zhang-kah
    I'm wondering what it meant. I don't think it means Grandma.

6. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Stařenka? It does mean grandma or simply an old woman but said in an affectionate way.