Message to decipher!

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by Krista, Feb 21, 2000.

1. Krista

Krista New Member

Please help!
    My father met Marion Hossa (my favourite hockey player!) on the plane this morning and got his autograph for me! I have one problem, some of the message was in Czech and my father hasn't spoken Czech in years and can't help me (I'm planning on taking lessons soon!). Can someone tell me what these few words mean? The message read:

Kriste (I think I get that part :)
    ha pahiatky vehuje
    Marion

I would GREATLY appreciate anyone's help!
    Krista

2. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Krista,
    If I'm not mistaken, Marion Hossa is from Slovakia, not the Czech Republic, but the Czech and Slovak languages are very similar. The message he wrote is "Kriste na pamiatku venuje Marion", which literally translates "To Krista, given as a remembrance by Marion". The phrase "to give as a remembrance" - "věnovat na památku (Czech) or na pamiatku (Slovak)" is often used in Czech and Slovak when you give someone something "as a remembrance" and write a note to go with it.

3. Krista

Krista New Member

Hi Dana,
    You are absolutely right - he is from Slovakia, I guess I assumed that because he was speaking to my father in Czech (my father in "rusty" Czech :) that the note was also in Czech.
    Thank you so much for your translation - I am so happy to know what he wrote!
    Much appreciated!
    Krista