Headstone translation

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by Sandy, Apr 14, 2003.

1. Sandy

Sandy New Member

Hello,

My sister has asked me to translate the inscription on the headstone of our great aunt, and I'm stuck on one phrase.

The entire inscription is:

Zde odpociva nase milena dcera Anna Lejska
    narozena 16 rijna 1919 zemrela 13 cervna 1933
    spi sladce

She didn't include any diacritical marks at all.

I did study Czech a long time (15 years) ago.

What I came up with was: Here rests our beloved daughter, Anna Lejska, born 16 October, 1919 , died 13 June 1933 . . .

and for "spi sladce" I have no idea. I want to make it "rest in peace" but I'm just not sure.

Any help will be appreciated!

Thank You,
    Sandy

2. magda29

magda29 New Member

Hi Sandy,

Spi sladce actually means "rest in peace" . Transladed word by word by word "sleep sweetly" but it is not used.

maggie

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sandy:
    <B>Hello,

My sister has asked me to translate the inscription on the headstone of our great aunt, and I'm stuck on one phrase.

The entire inscription is:

Zde odpociva nase milena dcera Anna Lejska
    narozena 16 rijna 1919 zemrela 13 cervna 1933
    spi sladce

She didn't include any diacritical marks at all.

I did study Czech a long time (15 years) ago.

What I came up with was: Here rests our beloved daughter, Anna Lejska, born 16 October, 1919 , died 13 June 1933 . . .

and for "spi sladce" I have no idea. I want to make it "rest in peace" but I'm just not sure.

Any help will be appreciated!

Thank You,
    Sandy</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

3. Sandy

Sandy New Member

Maggie
    Thanks for the help!! It's been a long time since I studied the language. My sister is working on the geneology of the family.

Regards
    Sandy