How to say this in Czech?

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by shawn, Aug 8, 2003.

1. shawn

shawn Well-Known Member

Hi There, I've a friend who means a lot to me in many ways, she is from Prague, and loves it when I try to write things in Czech to her.

I'd like to learn how to say:

"My mentor, my muse, but most of all my friend"

As a way of ending my letters to her. By "muse" I mean as in she is my artist's muse, inspires me to create, etc. - an artist's muse.

Could someone please let me know how to write that in Czech?

I also want to learn how to speak the language, but that's a whole other problem LOL.

Thanks very much [​IMG]

Shawn

[This message has been edited by shawn (edited 08-08-2003).]

2. shawn

shawn Well-Known Member

Someone tried their hand at it for me, but told me the 'friend' was maybe more like a girlfriend. How would I change this to indicate the friendship is merely platonic, very close, but not romantic?

Moje milá učitelko, múzo, ale většinou kamarádko

Thanks very much,

Shawn

3. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Hi Shawn,

I would translate your sentence like this:

"Má učitelko, má múzo, ale především má kamarádko."

- "most of all" should be translated as "předevsím", not as "většinou", which means "most of the time"

- the word "milá" in the first translation was added to your original sentence and means "dear" ("my dear mentor...")

- "kamarádko" means "a friend, a pal"; if you would like to insinuate a deeper, more intimate friendship, you should replace "kamarádko" with "přítelkyně". In that case, be aware that "přítelkyně" can also mean a "girlfriend" in the romantic sense. "kamarádko" sounds more fun and casual, "přítelkyně" more close and intimate.

4. shawn

shawn Well-Known Member

Dana, thank you very much. I think I prefer přítelkyně based on what you say and how it comes up in English. It doesn't seem to explicitly mean 'girlfriend' as much as it seems to mean a deep, meaningful friend, whether platonic or romantic, which more fits our friendship - deep and meaningful no matter it's actual nature.

Thank you very much [​IMG]

Shawn [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by shawn (edited 09-08-2003).]