Dokonalost navzdor monstróznost?

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by shawn, Jan 30, 2004.

1. shawn

shawn Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone,

For the title of a work of art, which would best represent the English "Perfection in the Face of Monstrosity":

Dokonalost navzdor monstróznost
    Dokonalost přes monstróznost
    Dokonalost vůči monstróznost

...or something altogether different LOL?

Děkuji pěkně:)

Shawn

2. shawn

shawn Well-Known Member

Krása v Tváři Ďábla? (from a Czech friend...)

3. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Hi Shawn,

It depends on how literal you would like the translation to be. "Krása v tváři ďábla" means "Beauty in the Face of a Devil" so you'll have to decide if it would work. Here's a more or less literal translation: "Dokonalost ve tváři obludnosti".

Regarding your suggested prepositions:

navzdor or navzdory (+ dative) = in spite of
    přes (+ accusative) = in spite of
    vůči (+ dative) = towards or against

So: navzdor monstróznosti, přes monstróznost, vůči monstróznosti

Take a look at the Prepositions page on Local Lingo. I added your three prepositions there with examples of their use in sentences.

4. shawn

shawn Well-Known Member

Jako vždycky, děkuji pěkně, Dano.

Ukázal jsem moji nejlépší česky kamarádce tvoje slova, a potom jsme o tom mluvili, a ona řekla:

I v něčem hrozně ošklivém i kousek krásy najdeš.

Thank you very much for stimulating a wonderful conversation.

Now for the hard part...to make the art that created the title.

p.s. she helped me with the first sentence (I only got it about 1/2 right...), he he...

Šón

5. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

So you don't have the art? Do you always come up with the title first? :)

6. Azazel

Azazel Member

Shawn Could you post some of your work on the board , or mabey a link to one of them ... I just love art :) You look like your quite the artist ...

7. shawn

shawn Well-Known Member

Hi Dana - sometimes:) I usually like anything I do to be driven by 'the ideas and meaning behind', so quite often, yes, I'll have a title before even knowing what the art will look like; always, though, there will at least be the reason/idea behind what I want to express, because it's never the subject itself that fires me.

For this piece, it's actually going to be a small sculpture, with pure beauty not being beaten by the general force of ugliness that sometimes seems to pervade; i.e., even in the face of it, thre is always beauty because it's too strong (thankfully) to die.

Or something like that LOL...

Azazel, I do have some work I could show, and will, but I'm currently not hooked up anywhere except at work and the internet cafe, and I have no server space at all right now:(

Gimme some time, and thanks very much for your interest:)

Shawn