Imperative help

Discussion in 'Grammar & Pronunciation' started by flapcats, Mar 18, 2009.

1. flapcats

flapcats Member

Hi there,

Does anyone know how to use/form the imperative in Czech or know a good link which explains it?

Our teacher covered it a little while ago but I didn't understand and we've moved on now.

Thanks,
    Mark

2. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

There is no simple answer. Nearly every verbal class has its way to form the imperative.

For example:

4th class: pros-i-ti (thematic vowel i)

sg. 2. pros, 3. pros (prosiž); pl. 1. prosme, 2. proste

5th class: děl-a-ti (thematic vowel a)

sg. 2. dělej, 3. dělej; pl. 1. dělejme, 2. dělejte

Another tricky thing: negative commands usually use imperfective verbs.

Sedni si! - Nesedej si!
    Lehni si! - Nelehej si!
    Vstaň! - Nevstávej!

3. wer

wer Well-Known Member

There is more ways to express orders in Czech, I suppose you are interested in the most basic and most common one – in the imperative mood of verbs.

The imperative is formed from the non-past verbal stem. There are three imperative forms for second person singular, first person plural and second person plural respectively.
    Second person singular uses either null ending or “-i/-ej” ending, first person plural uses the ending “-me/-ěme/-ejme” and the second person plural uses “-te/-ěte/-ejte”. The particular use of endings depends on the verbal classes. You could either learn the verbal class tables, or use this algorithm (take it with reserve, I made it off-hand):

Take the present/future 3rd person plural form and remove the ending.

1) For the verbal models “dělat” (class V) and “sázet” (class IV) use the endings “-ej/-ejme/-ejte”:

(ty) dělej
      (my) dělejme
      (vy) dělejte

2) For other verbs:

a) If the resulting form ends in one consonant use endings “null ending/-me/-te”:

(ty) nes
      (my) nesme
      (vy) neste

b) If the resulting form ends in cluster of more non-syllabic consonants use endings “-i/-ěme/-ěte”:

(ty) spi
      (my) spěme
      (vy) spětě

Sound alternations:

For 2a):

The stem vowel is always shortened. This applies even for diphthong: ou → u.

The final “h/k/d/t/n” is replaced with “z/c/ď/ť/ň” respectively.

For 2b: The verb undergoes the standard “ě” alternation (possibly softening of preceding consonant or “ě→e” alternation).

Note: Model “sázet” could be classified under both 1) and 2a).

4. flapcats

flapcats Member

Thank you, both things to mull over - those tables on Wiki may be useful too.
    It is incredibly complex.