short bio of Mireille Mathieu in Czech

Discussion in 'Grammar & Pronunciation' started by rsalc1, May 16, 2009.

1. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

I found a short biography of the French singer Mireille Mathieu in Czech.
    I will start translating into English here. I have a few questions here and there and I hope someone can correct my mistakes.

It is written in fairly simple Czech, so translating it was not very difficult for me.
    The Czech version uses present tense, but my English version uses the past tense.

Pohádka 21. listopadu 1965. Jedna mladičká dívka se objevuje na televizních obrazovkách. Nebude potřebovat ani rok, aby se její jméno stalo známým ve všech koutech Francie. Zbytek světa bude následovat a bude se zase jednou mluvit bez nadsázky o pohádce. Narozená v ušlechtilém měste papežu, v Avignonu, Mireille se stane svědkem narození a růstu svých třinácti malých sourozencu.

Fairy tale, November 21, 1965. A young woman is discovered on the television screen. It wouldn't take a year for her name to become famous in all corners of France. The rest of the world would follow and would once again speak without exaggeration about the fairy tale. Born in the noble(?) town of the popes, in Avignon, Mireille became a witness of the birth and the growth of her small siblings.

Její otec Roger je kameník a jeho velkým snem bylo stát se zpěvákem, nebo měl príjemný tenor. Rodina bydlela v dřevěné barabizně, do které pršelo a foukalo dveřmi i okny. Byla to jejich noční můra, tak to bylo smutné !

Her father Roger is a stonemason and his biggest dream was to become a singer [nebo měl] a nice tenor. The family lived in a wooden shack, where it rained and the wind blew in through the doors and windows. That was her nightmare. How sad it was!

Když bylo Mireille patnáct let, přestehovali se do úplně nového bytu s pěti místnostmi, kde nejvetší luxus byla koupelna. " To byl nejkrásnější den v mém životě," vypráví Mireille, " poprvé jsem se koupala ! To byla mimořádná událost …"
    Každé ráno chodí paní Mathieuová na trh a počítá pečlivě každý frank. Stejne tak počítá i Roger Mathieu, který nevydělá týdne víc než 200 franku, které mu vyplácí jeho otec, šéf skromného rodinného podniku.

When Mireille was 15 years old, they moved to a completely new apartment with 5 rooms, where the greatest luxury was a bathroom. "That was the most beautiful day in my life", recounted Mireille, " I bathed for the first time! That was a remarkable event..."
    Every morning Miss Mathieu went to the market and counted carefully every franc. Roger Mathieu counted like that too; he didn't earn more than 200 francs weekly, which his father paid to him, as boss of a modest family business.

Myslím, že jsem tady málo chyb udělal.
    to be continued...

2. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

Dívka se objevila... doesn't mean "is discovered" but "appeared (out of nowhere)".

ušlechtilé město :roll:
    I should say vznešené/hrdé město papežů (majestic, proud city of the popes).

...her 13 small siblings.

..., neboť měl přijemný tenor = ..., because he had a nice tenor.

Every morning Mrs. (not Miss) Mathieu

největším luxusem byla koupelna... (koupelna - subject)

3. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

Bibax,
    Díky za opravy. Udělal jsem pár nepozorných chyb. :oops:
    Thanks for the corrections. I made a couple of careless mistakes.

The sentence quoted above confused me a little.
    Why do they use the Instrumental case (kým, čím) here?

Thanks,
    René

4. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

Short bio of Mireille Mathieu in Czech - Part 2

This one gave me some trouble. There are some expressions that I just could not translate.

Celkový příjem je u rodiny Mathieuových asi 1800 franků, z nichž je třeba ještě odečíst 190 franků na mesícní nájemné. Jsou chvíle, kdy její matku Marcelle bolí hlava z toho, v jaké jsou tísni, když počítá, že je třeba koupit šaty pro jedno dítě, prádlo pro druhé, boty pro všechny. Vzhledem k věku Mireille prebírá velmi rychle svůj podíl na zodpovednosti. Celá domácnost je v perfektním pořádku a úzkostlivě čistá.
    " U nás se mohlo jíst z podlahy," vyprávela Mireille s obdivem. Roger Mathieu je vynikající delník, který se při práci neumí mracit.

The entire income of the Mathieu family was about 1800 francs, out of which it was necessary to subtract 190 francs for the monthly rent. There were moments when her mother, Marcelle, had headaches from [v jaké jsou tísni] when she calculated that it was necessary to buy clothes for one child, underwear for another and shoes for all. [Vzhledem k věku] Mireille very quickly picked(?) her part in responsibility. The entire household was in perfect order and meticulously clean.
    "In our house you could eat off the floor", rrecounted Mireille with admiration(?). Roger Mathieu was an excellent worker who at work didn't know how to [mracit].

Prázdniny ? Volný cas ? To jsou slova, jejichž význam rodina Mathieuových ignorovala. " Byly mi čtyři roky, když jsem poprvé zpívala před publikem. Bylo to na pulnoční mši." Při poslechu velkých šansoniéru v rádiu a televizi myslí na to, jak by byla ráda na jejich místě. Má chuť se utkat s jiným publikem, než je její rodina a kamarádi ze školy. Jejím idolem a vzorem je Edith Piaf. Už ve škole, při hodinách šití, chtěly kamarádky slyšet " La vie en rose " .

Vacations? Free time? Those are words whose meaning were ignored by the family Mathieu. "I was 4 years old, when I sang for the first time in public. It was [na pulnoční mši]". While listening to great singers on radio and TV she thought about how she would like (to be in) their place. She craved to [encounter public](?) other than her family and school mates. Her idol and example is Edith Piaf. Once in school, during the sewing hour (class), her friends wanted to hear "La vie en rose".

Když byla Mireille přijata jako žákyně u profesorky zpěvu Laury Collierové, neskrývala jí, že si vybrala povolání, kde je " hodně povolaných, ale málo vyvolených " . Řekla jí : " Aby ses stála zpěvačkou, musíš být silná, fyzicky i morálne. Spíš můžeš počítat s tím, že se octneš znovu na sláme než na polštářích Rolsu."

When Mireille was accepted as a student under singing professor Laury Collier, she did not hide from her the fact that she chose a career where there is a lot competition of but few get selected (this was a tough one, I hope I translated okay).
    She told her: "To become a singer, you must be strong, physically and morally. [Spíš] You can count on it, that you find yourself again on straw(?) and not on cushions [Rolsu]".

to be continued...

5. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

To je pořád dokola: Proč? Proč? Proč?
    Na to znám od útlého dětství jedinou odpověď: Pro kvočičí kvoč! (For clucking hen's cluck!)

Koupelna je součástí bytu.
    Hudba je mi vším.
    Čechy byly vždy otloukánkem Evropy. (btw, how to say otloukánek in English :) )

Instrumental vs. nominativ. Už se to tu probíralo (viz: Proč "Hlavní výhodou je ...?").

6. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

Bibax, thanks for the examples. I will search the forums for Instrumental vs. nominativ.

The word otloukánek is too advanced for me. I don't know how to say it in English. :cry:

7. Swordslayer

Swordslayer Well-Known Member

I believe it's a pushover. Correct me if I'm wrong. :wink:

8. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

Historically otloukánek was a boy who received whipping instead of the prince (like in "The prince and the pauper"). I think it is not the same like a pushover.

...matku Marcelle bolí hlava z toho, v jaké jsou tísni.
    ...matku Marcelle bolí hlava z tísně, v jaké (oni) jsou (se nacházejí).

tíseň = distress, difficulties, problems, ...

vzhledem k její věku = taking into account her age, with regard/respect to her age

přebírá is an imperfective counterpart of převezme = she is undertaking a part of responsibility

s obdivem = with admiration (for her mother)

mračit se (from mrak: obloha se mračí) = to scowl, to glower, to frown

na půlnoční mši = on/in/during (?) the/a (?) midnight mass

Má chuť = ráda by = she would like to

utkat se s = poměřit se s = to face off

Když byla Mireille přijata jako žákyně u profesorky zpěvu Laury Collierové, professorka jí neskrývala, že si vybrala povolání, kde je "hodně povolaných, ale málo vyvolených ". Řekla jí: "Aby ses stala zpěvačkou, musíš být silná, fyzicky i morálně. Spíš můžeš počítat (počítej) s tím, že se octneš znovu na slámě než na polštářích Rollsu."

When Mireille was accepted as a student under singing* professor Laura Collier, she (professor) did not hide from her the fact that she chose a career where there is a lot competition of but few get selected (this was a tough one, I hope I translated okay).
    She told her: "To become a singer, you must be strong, physically and morally. Rather count on it, that you find yourself again on straw** and not on cushions of Rolls-Royce".

* singing professor? professorka zpěvu není zpívající professorka

** sláma (straw) is associated with poor peasants
    How to say "kouká/čouhá ti sláma z bot (jsi venkovský balík)" in English?

Je mnoho povolaných, ale málo vyvolených. = There are many applicants, but few elects.

9. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

Yes, pushover is a correct English expression (not sure if it means otloukánek).

According to Bibax's reply: otloukánek = whipping boy ;)

10. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

To vím! :) Ale, jak se řekne anglicky "professorka zpěvu "?

I don't know understand the kouká...bot expression, but I think that "jsi venkovský balík" is "you are a country bumpkin" in English :D

Hey, I didn't do too bad on this tough sentence. I said "There is a lot of competition but few get selected". :wink:

Is the following correct?
    Má chuť se utkat s jiným publikem, než je její rodina a kamarádi ze školy.
    She would like (wanted) to get together with public other(?) than her family and her school mates.

11. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

Sláma ti čouhá z bot. = lit. Straw is protruding out (juts/sticks out) from your boots.

čouhá, kouká is colloquial, in Literary Czech it sounds:

Sláma ti trčí (ční, vyčnívá) z bot.

Jak to mám vědět? Snad a professoress teaching singing :?: .

Má chuť se utkat s jiným publikem, než je její rodina a kamarádi ze školy.
    She would like (or She wanted) to get together with(?) public other than her family and her school mates.

I am not sure if it is correct.

Perhaps:

She wanted to be confronted with public/audience other than ... (btw frons means fronthead in Latin)
    She wanted to stand face in face (?) with public/audience other than...

12. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

Ah yes, she wanted to stand face to face with an audience other than...

13. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

Short bio of Mireille Mathieu in Czech - Part 3 (final).

Here is the final part of the bio of Mireille Mathieu. There are some expressions that I don't know how to translate.

"Můžu pochybovat," odpovídá Mireille, " ale kdo nic neriskuje, nic nemá. Není to pravda ?" Johnny Stark, umelecký manažer, v ní okamžitě vidí neuvěřitelný talent, ale jak poznamenal, upozornil ji : " Nezapomen, že jsi zacátecnice. Zapamatuj si provždy, budu ti dávat práci jako galejníkovi, nic ti neprominu, nebudu mít slitování. Rozmysli se, ještě je čas říct ne. Jestli me chceš poslouchat, pracovat a hlavně nechvátat za úspěchem. Já z tebe udělám velkou, opravdovou hvězdu."

On také ví, že at se stane cokoliv, ona bude pracovat, protože je bojovnice, pro kterou je zpěv vším.

"[Můžu pochybovat]", replied Mireille, "but he who risks nothing, has nothing. Isn't that true?" Johnny Stark, artistic manager, immediately saw in her incredible talent, but as he observed, he warned her "Don't forget that you are a beginner. Remember, I will give you work like a slave for ever, I will not excuse anything, I will have no mercy. Reconsider, there is still time to say no. If you want to obey me, work [hlavně nechvátat za úspěchem]. I will make a big [opravdovou] star out of you".
    He also knew, that [at se stane cokoliv], she would work, because she is a fighter for whom song is everything.

Svěruje ji do rukou šéfa orchestru Paula Mauriata, který ji učí " nervat " , jak ríká Stark. A pak … opakování, hodiny fotografování, interview, u kterých nezapomene Stark asistovat, lekce hudby, zpěvu, tance, francouzštiny, angličtiny a také společenského chování. Stark také říká, že Mireillein vynikající úspěch, její neuvěřitelná rychlost, se kterou dosáhla vrcholku slávy, to se nestalo díky zázraku. Ona miluje práci pro práci.

Orchestra conductor Paul Mauriat took(?) her by the hand. He taught her [nervat], as Stark said. And then... [opakování], hours of photo shoots, interviews, where Stark assisted [nezapomene], music lessons, singing, dancing, French, English and also [social manners]. Stark also said that Mireille's notable success, the incredible pace/speed with which she achieved [vrcholku] fame, didn't happen as a miracle (by chance). She loves work for work's sake.

V období vrcholu, během úspěšných a intenzivních nahrávek v USA, nespala Mireille víc než čtyři hodiny denně . Přirozeně si to pak nahradila později … Ale její devizou jako dobré krestanky je motto : " Má práce a muj Bůh" .

At the height (of her fame), during successful and intensive recordings in the US, Mireille slept no more than 4 hous a day. She naturally made up for that later... But her motto [jako dobré krestanky] is the motto: "My work and my God".
    The sentence "Ale její devizou(which case?) jako dobré krestanky(which case?) je motto(where is the subject?)" is very difficult for me to understand.

Koněcně v sobotu 15. brezna, je zkouška na varietní " Ed Sullivan Show ", které je nejpopulárnejší v USA - sleduje ho 50 milionů diváku.
    Následující nedeli, po televizním vysílání, není pochyb o úspěchu. Celá Amerika je vzrušená hlasem slečny z Avignonu a opakuje jméno - Mireille Mathieu. Pak následuje Las Vegas, Hollywood …

Finally on Saturday April 15 she was tested on the variety "Ed Sullivan Show" which was the most popular show in the US, watched/followed by 50 million viewers.
    The following Sunday, after the television broadcast, there was no doubt of (her) success. All America was excited with the voice of the young woman of Avignon and (everyone was) repeat(ing) the name Mireille Mathieu. Then followed Las Vegas, Hollywood...

Vír interview, telefonu, pozvánek do New Yorku. Mireille vždycky zpívá o lásce. " Není píseň, kde bych nemohla ríci miluji te," přiznává. Představuje romantismus,který má v sobě jako všechny mladé dívky. " Mé písne mluví vždy o lásce.Je to tak, miluji je."

A whirlwind of interviews, telephone(?), invitations to New York. Mireille always song of love. "There are no song, where she could not say I love you", she admitted. She represents(představuje?) romanticism [který má v sobě jako všechny mladé dívky]. "My songs speak always about love. It is so. I love them".

Mireille zpívala všude, ve všech zemích, ale víc milovala prosté lidi než mocné tohoto světa. Ona, cizinka, byla prijata vládci a prezidenty všech států. Vykonala cestu kolem světa. " Nejlépe se cítí na scéne," rekl jednou Johnny Stark a doplnil : " Tam je sama, tam má klid a mír."

Mireille sang everywhere, in all lands, but she loved more the simple people than the powerful of this world. She, a citizen, was accepted by governments and presidents of all countries. [Vykonala cestu kolem světa](I don't understand... where is the subject?).

She feels best on stage, said once Johnny Stark and added, there she is alone, there she has serenity and peace.

" V živote zpěvačky," prohlašuje Mireille, " jsou jen úspěchy a výzvy. Jsou dny, kdy je třeba odejít - není žádná chuť. Je třeba se také usmívat, i když srdce nemá důvod, je třeba mlčet. Je třeba také zapomenout na únavu, protože červená opona musí jít vždy vzhůru. Nemá smysl myslet na smutek, když je třeba zpívat o radosti, nemá smysl myslet na trému, která svazuje, když se rozsvecují světla na scéne."
    Taková je Mireille, srdce, které zpívá, srdce, které pláče … a hlavně, které miluje.

In the life of a singer, declared Mireille, there are only successes and chanllenges. There are days, when it is necessary to go away, [není žádná chuť] . It's necessary also to smile, and even if your heart doesn't have a reason it is necessary to be silent. You must also remember [na únavu], because the red curtain must always go up. There is no sense in thinking about grief when you must sing about joy, no sense in thinking about stage fright which binds you down, when the lights on the stage light up.
    Such is Mireille, a heart that sings, a heart that cries... and most importantly (a heart) that loves.

KONEC -- THE END

14. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

Mohu, mohla jsem, mohla bych pochybovat = I can/could doubt, misbelieve

immediately saw in her incredible talent... rather "immediately saw incredible talent in/of her"

he observed, he warned her... rather "he noted, he warned her"

poslouchat, pracovat a hlavně nechvátat za úspěchem = to obey, to work and mainly not to rush(?) for success (not to hurry)

galejník = galley-slave

velká, opravdová hvězda = a big, real star

ať se stane cokoliv (it is an inserted clause) = in any case, in any possible circumstances

a fighter for whom song is everything... rather "singing is everything"

její devisou(instr.) je motto (subj.) = a motto is her device (currency bill?)

jako dobré křesťanky = as a good Christian

15. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

Bibaxi, ještě jednou děkuji mockrát za vysvětlení a opravy.

The phrase její devisou(instr.) je motto (subj.) is very strange:
    a motto is her motto (deviza=motto).
    The definition deviza='currency bill' does not fit in this case.

I can only imagine: the article was written in French, then translated into Czech... and then translated into English by me, someone with a limited knowledge of the Czech language :!:

16. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

What is the case of 'dobré kresťanky' above?

17. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

The motto (work,God) is her currency, security, bond(?).

or simply "... is her biggest advantage/virtue"

genitive: virtue of her as a good Christian

18. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

svěřit někoho někomu do rukou (do péče) = to commend, to entrust

He taught her not to cry (whimper)... neřvat, nenaříkat, nefňukat

opakování = repetition

(nikdy) nezapomene asistovat = he didn't forget (never forgot) to assist (past tense, of course)

společenské chování = (good) manners

vrcholek = top, apex, zenith

vír telefonátů (not telefonů)
    telefon = telephone
    telefonát, telefonní hovor = telephone call

She represented romanticism which was present in her like in all young girls. (clumsy translation :cry: )

Mireille always song of love.
    sing, sang, sung 8)

(ona) vykonala cestu kolem světa = she made(?) a journey around the world

Ona, cizinka, ... = She, a foreigner (alien, stranger), ...

19. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

Bibax, once again thanks for your help.
    Your explanations are really helping me understand new Czech expressions.

Here's another attempt at that sentence:
    She represented the romanticism that was present in her like it was present in all other young girls (it still sounds clumsy - it probably sounds very nice in the original French) :)

Oops! I made a mistake in English :oops:
    8)