can someone explain how to read pravidla.cz

Discussion in 'Grammar & Pronunciation' started by rsalc1, May 17, 2009.

1. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

Can someone explain to me how to read the results of a search in pravidla.cz

Here are two examples of words that I looked up:

SLOVNÍ TVARY: pivovar ~ pivovare ~ pivovarech ~ pivovarem ~ pivovaři ~ pivovařích ~ pivovařovi ~ pivovaru ~ pivovarům ~ pivovary

p pivovar, -u m.

SLOVNÍ TVARY: hrad ~ hrade ~ hradech ~ hradem ~ hradu ~ hradům ~ hrady

h hřad, -u m.

I think that the -u next to the word is its genitive.
    But it is difficult for me to understand the line SLOVNI TVARY because the cases are in no apparent order.

For example, hrad looks like:
    nom sg ~ vocative sg ~ locative pl ~ instrumental sg ~ genitive sg/dative sg/locative sg ~ genitive pl ~ nominative pl/vocative pl/instrumental pl

Is this correct?

But this order may not be the same for other words, right?

2. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

:!: Don't use pravidla.cz!

The grammatical forms on pravidla.cz are generated by software (not udated) in random order. I think it is an older version of a spell-checker engine. There are many mistakes.

The whole internet is full of similar nonsenses. :)

Btw, hřad is somethin else than hrad.
    There are both the animate and inanimate forms for pivovar (brewery). :D

3. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

Bibax, thanks for your reply.
    pravidla.cz really doesn't help me because the results are in no particular order.

I noticed that http://prirucka.ujc.cas.cz/ lays out the results on a table.
    Can I trust prirucka or is it also software-generated, liable to have errors?

Up to now I knew that pivovar was inanimate (I've visited a couple of pivovary in Praha)
    but now I learned that pivovar(animate)=brewer (the guy who makes the beer) :lol:
    8)

4. wer

wer Well-Known Member

That’s a dictionary by the Institute of the Czech Language of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic. The authority of the institute is not undisputed but it’s most likely the best authority you can get.

Putting aside the controversy over the orthography changes propagated by the institute in the 90’s, I found no errors so far. Only sometimes, I find the dictionary incomplete. For example most of the adverbs derived from adjectives are missing (but there are the adjectives).

No, for me “pivovar” is only the company, or the building.
    The guy who makes the beer is called “pivovarník”, or “sládek” if you mean the chief responsible for the process of brewering.

5. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

Sorry, I got confused.
    According to slovnik.cz
    pivovar = brewery
    pivovar = brewer (a person)
    pivovarník = brewer (a person)

Is the second entry wrong?

6. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

OK it might not be wrong in some antient czech, but nobody will use that now.

7. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Interesting, I found it in the dictionary of historical Czech, but I would never guess it. My guess for the right term in the old Czech would be “pivovarcě” (and it is correct too).

The other ancient meanings “vaření piva” (= the process of brewing) and “jedna várka piva” (= a quantity brewed in a single process) are much more natural.

8. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

I think brewer (a person) is rather pivovař (declined like pivař) than pivovar (brewery).