Výlet na Les Království

Discussion in 'Grammar & Pronunciation' started by rsalc1, May 28, 2009.

1. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

The following is a short article from idnes.cz/Cestovani followed by my English translation.

1. část
    Nejhezčí přehrada v Česku je jako z pohádky. Výlet na Les Království

Zdálky vypadá jako zámek. Kamenné věžičky s červenou stříškou na koruně hráze evokují něco vznešeného, skoro pohádkového. Přehrada Les Království na Labi poblíž Dvora Králové patří k nejhezčím a nejnavštěvovanějším u nás. V roce 1964 byla vyhlášena technickou památkou.

Přehrada Les Království, které se někdy také říká Bílá Třemešná nebo Těšnovská, je nenápadně vsunuta doprostřed lesů pod vrchem Zvičinou. Sjedete k ní po úzké silničce z Bílé Třemešné na Nemojov, dále pak na Hostinné. Přejedete hrázní korunu, zastavíte na parkovišti za ní a pěšky se vydáte po jejím levém břehu na nádhernou jarní procházku.
    Zeleně značená stezka vede přímo po břehu nádrže. Je to zajímavé i cyklisticky, nemusíte se potom vracet stejnou cestou.

Part 1
    The prettiest river dam in Czechia is as if (?) from a legend. Excursion to Les Království.
    From afar it looks like a castle. Stone turrets with red ____ on the crown of the dam evoke something noble, almost fairytale-like. The river dam Les Království on the Labe near Dvur Kralove is one of the nicest and most visited here. In 1964 it was named a technical monument.

The river dam Les Království, which at one time was also called Bílá Třemešná or Těšnovská, is unobtrusively tucked in the middle of a forest under mount Zvičina. Go down to it along a narrow road from Bílá Třemešná to Nemojov, then on to Hostinné. Cross the dike crown, stop at the parking lot behind it, and set out of foot along its left shore on a delightful spring-time stroll.

A trail (marked in) green leads just along the shore of the dike. It is interesting also by bicycle, you cannot (?) return by the same road.

2. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

jako (přenesena) z pohádky = fairytale-like

stříška = regular dim. of střecha

nemusíte se vracet stejnou cestou = můžete se vrátit jinou cestou (you can return by different road)

N.B. nevracet se vs. vrátit se (imp. in negative sentences and negative commands)

3. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

2. část

Stavěli ji kvůli labským záplavám
    Jakmile začalo v Krkonoších tát, bylo na středním toku Labe nad Dvorem Králové až k Jaroměři zle. Voda se rozlévala do údolí a likvidovala vše, co jí přišlo do cesty. Jedna z nejhorších povodní přišla v roce 1897, zničila mnoho domů a voda se dostala až do Pardubic. Proto se rozhodlo, že se na Labi postaví dvě nádrže, které by jarní vody zachytily. První u Špindlerova Mlýna. Druhá, třemešínská, měla chránit Dvůr Králové.

Vše zpozdila válka
    Projekt vznikl kolem roku 1903, stavět se začalo o sedm let později. Rozdělané práce, odstřelenou skálu a první základy přerušil rok 1914, kdy Rakousko-Uhersko vstoupilo do války. Další práce pokračovaly až v roce 1920. Že se jedná o dílo nejvýše potřebné, bylo jasné již v roce 1917, kdy nehotová hráz zachytila krkonošskou přívalovou vlnu a nedovolila velké vodě rozlít se korytem ke Dvoru.
    Celkové náklady na tehdy největší přehradní nádrž v Československé republice dosáhly 4,7 milionů rakouských korun.

Part 2
    It was built on account of the Labe flood
    As soon as (the snow) began to melt in Krknose, it was bad (?) on the middle course/flow of the Labe on Dvur Kralove all the way to Jaromeri. Water spilled out into the valley and dissolved everything in its path. One of the worst floods came in 1897; it destroyed many houses and water reached all the way to Pardubice. Therefore it was decided to build 2 dikes on the Labe to catch the spring waters. The first (was) at Spindlerova Mlyna. The second, třemešínská, had to defend Dvur Kralove.

The war delayed everything.
    The project originated around the year 1903; construction began about 7 years later. ____________, blasted rock and the first foundation were abandoned in 1914, when Austria-Hungary entered the war. Further work didn’t continue until the year 1920. In 1917 it became clear that (we were) dealing with highly useful work, when the incomplete dam caught the storm-water waves of Krkonose and prevented water from pouring out into the river basin to Dvur.
    The general costs on (?) the highest reservoir at the time in the Czech Republic reached 4,7 million Austrian crowns.

4. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Yes, that fits the construction used in Czech.
    See My Czech Republic Blog for details.
    This is common misconception. In Czech, the negation of modal verb always negates the meaning of the modal verb.

musit/muset = to be under the necessity to
    nemusit/nemuset = not to be under the necessity to

moci/moct = to be able to / to have the possibility to
    nemoci/nemoct = not to be able to / to be unable to / not to have the possibility to

smět = to be allowed to
    nesmět = not to be allowed to

Musíš se vrátit stejnou cestou. = You must (= are under the necessity to) return by the same road.
    Nemusíš se vrátit stejno cestou. = You needn’t (= are not under the necessity to) return by the same road.

you must go = musíš jít
    you must not go = musíš nejít (rarely used strict translation)
    you must not go ~ nesmíš jít (common loose translation)
    Yes, literally. Perhaps more English: “there were troubles” or even “(the area) was in troubles”.
    “Tok” means either “a flow(ing)” or “a section of a river”:

na středním toku Labe = on the middle reaches of Labe (Elbe) river
    on the middle reaches of Labe from upriver of Dvůr Králové downriver to Jaroměř

What a construction. :?
    That’s the nominative form.

“Rozdělané” is adjective (resp passive participle) derived from the verb “rozdělat”. The verbal prefix “roz-” has more meanings. The meaning used in this sentence is “to start/begin”:

rozdělat = to start (doing/working)
      rozdělané práce = the works which were started / the works in progress
    jedná se o něco = it is something, it happens to be something / something is concerned
    It needn’t mean “storm-water”, it could be from the spring melting.
    And a picture: :D

[​IMG]

5. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

bibax, wer: thanks for the detailed explanation.

And wer: thanks for the picture of the dam :)

I am working on the last section of the article. It has some confusing sentence structures... I will post it in a couple of days.

6. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

Here is the last section of the article.

3. část
    Voda padala i přes korunu hráze
    Přehrada je technicky velmi dobře řešena, má elegantní půloblouk, stavební kvádry z králodvorského pískovce poskytly místní lomy. Vodu odvádějí dva boční tunely, přičemž ten pravý je spojený potrubím s vodní elektrárnou. Ta se spustila v roce 1923 s výkonem 2x 600 kW.

Protože tání v Krkonoších bylo nepředvídatelné, při maximálním přítoku vody zajišťovalo její odtok pět přepadů pod korunou, každý se šířkou 10,96 metru. Jak dovede být taková voda divoká, se ukázalo i při nedávných povodních v roce 1981 nebo 2000, existují ale i snímky z roku 1925 a 1946, kdy se voda řítí po hrázi dolů.

Part 3
    Water fell also beyond the dam’s crown
    The dam is technically very well designed (?), it has an elegant archway (?), was built as a rectangle made of sandstone of Dvur Kralove provided by local quarries. Two side tunnels drain the water, whereas the one on the right is connected by pipes with a hydroelectric power station. It _____ in 1923 with an output of 2x 600kW.

Because snow melting in Krknose was irregular, the outflow of the maximum intake of water was supported by 5 spillways under the crown, each 10,96 meters wide. How to take/lead such tempestuous water was shown during the recent flood of the year 1981 or 2000. There exist also photos from the years 1925 and 1946, when water crashed down along the dam. (nechápu “dovede být”)

Technickou památkou zcela oprávněně
    V roce 1964 se rozhodlo, že z hlediska provedení i estetické čistoty bude přehrada Les Království zapsána jako národní technická památka. Je postavena v pseudogotickém slohu, domek hrázného na pravém břehu připomíná hrad s věžičkou a cimbuřím, i proto sem jezdí čím dál víc turistů.

Certifikace památky se vztahuje i na elektrárnu, v té byly v 90. letech vyměněny staré turbíny za moderní Francisovy o stejném výkonu.
    Na koupání to na přehradě není, slouží i jako zásobárna pitné vody, ale při lovu ryb vás asi moc lidí rušit nebude, nanejvýš porybný, abyste mu ukázali lístek.

In 1964 it was decided that from the viewpoint of workmanship and aesthetic cleanliness (?) the dam Les Kralovstvi was inscribed as a national technical monument. It is build in pseudo gothic style, the dike cottage on the right-hand shore reminds (one) of a castle with turrets and spire, and therefore to here _____________ more tourists.

The certification of monument was applied also to the power station, _____were in the nineties exchanged old turbines to modern Francis about the same output (this sentence has a difficult structure)
    For bathing that on the dam isn’t (I don’t get it), it serves also as a reservoir of drinking water, but ___ fishing ________________, ________________, ____________________.

7. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

spustit (here): launch, set something going
    dovede být - can be, knows, how to be
    "Jak dovede být taková voda divoká, se ukázalo i při nedávných povodních.."
    During the recent flood it could be seen, how such water can be tempestuous..
    sem jezdí - are coming here
    therefore, more and more tourists are coming here
    in it (in the power station)
    The dam is not suited for bathing, but you will be not disturbed by many people by fishing, may be by water bailiff asking you to show your fishing licence.

8. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

Karel, mod děkuju za vysvětlení a opravy.
    I have a question about one sentence:

"proto sem jezdí čím dál víc turistů."
    Is this the same as "proto sem jezdí víc turistů"?

Co znamená "čím dál"?

9. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

čím dál víc = abbreviation of čím dále tím více,
    meaning každoročně více a více = more and more

čím ... tím ... = the ... the ...

čím dále (v čase) tím více = the further (in time) the more = more and more
    čím dále tím méně = the further (in time) the less = less and less
    čím dále tím hůře = the further (in time) the worse = from bad to worse

Čím hloupější sedlák, tím větší brambory.
    Čím více věděl, tím méně mluvil. = The more he knew the less he spoke.

10. wer

wer Well-Known Member

That originates from the construction of the kind:

čím adjective/adverb in comparative, tím adjective/adverb in comparative

e.g. čím starší, tím lepší

The corresponding English construction is:

the adjective/adverb in comparative the adjective/adverb in comparative

e.g. the older the better

But the literal translation of the Czech construction is:

by what adjective/adverb in comparative, by that adjective/adverb in comparative

A special idiomatic variant of this construction is:

čím dál tím adjective/adverb in comparative

Literally:

the futher the adjective/adverb in comparative

In English, you have more option to express the meaning of this idiom:

čím dál tím víc(e) = more and more, increasingly
      čím dál tím hůř(e) = worse and worse, from bad to worse
      čím dál tím víc(e) z kopce = steadily downhill

And my final note – the word “tím” could be skipped in this very idiom:

čím dál víc(e) = more and more, increasingly
      čím dál hůř(e) = worse and worse, from bad to worse
      čím dál víc(e) z kopce = steadily downhill

čím dál víc turistů = more and more tourists, increasing number of tourists

11. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Ah! Bibax won the race. :D

For this once. :twisted:

12. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

bibax, wer: thanks for great replies. Now I get it (teď chápu):
    víc turistů = more tourists
    čím dál tím víc turistů = čím dál víc turistů = more and more tourists
    (because tím can be skipped).

Thanks for enlightening me on the finer points of Czech grammar!

13. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

wer: you didn't pull the trigger fast enough.. just this once. 8)
    No matter, I appreciate both detailed replies!!!