problems with "R"

Discussion in 'Grammar & Pronunciation' started by Anke, Apr 28, 2000.

1. Anke

Anke Well-Known Member

As a German native speaker I have never really needed to speak a twisted "R". Learning Czech now, it is absolutely necessary to speak it. I have tried a lot of things, practised 2 months - with no result. Is there a way of learning the pronunciation of the rolled "r"???
    Or will I never be able to pronounce: Strč prst skrz krk correctly? Any suggestions are welcome. :?

[This message has been edited by Anke (edited April 27, 2000).]

2. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Anke, don't despair! There are many Czechs who have trouble pronouncing the "r" and "r s háčkem" and despite visits to speech professionals and years of practice, they still find them hard to pronounce. The inability to pronounce these difficult sounds is more common among native Czech speakers than you might think. Czech even has a word for it - "ráčkovat" means to speak without pronouncing the r's correctly. If you listen to some top Czech politicians, you may be surprised. So even if you don't get your rolled "r" down, you will be just fine!
    Good luck with your studies!

3. Anke

Anke Well-Known Member

Thanks for cheering me up.
    I always thought I'm too stupid to learn it...so it's not just a problem of me.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Václav Havel talks very slowly most of the time, so I will pay more attention next time I watch Televisní Noviny.
    I can sort of roll the r, but I feel like I sound like too much of a Yankee. For me, distiguishing between the R with hacek and Z with hacek is more difficult.