needing help again - "jsi" versus "jses"

Discussion in 'Grammar & Pronunciation' started by Anke, Mar 11, 2000.

1. Anke

Anke Well-Known Member

I really like this bulletin board because now I can ask the questions I always wanted to be answered...
    Is there a difference in usage between "jsi" and "jseš"? I mean, is one of them old fashioned?

2. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Anke, neither of the two is old fashioned. "Jsi" is the correct, proper way of saying "you are", while "jses" is the colloquial form. Also, if I'm not wrong, there is a regional difference in using the two. E.g., you would hear "jsi" in Prague a lot and "jses" in some Moravian regions, etc.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey Anke- How did you get the S with the hook? I havent figured out a way to type those characters. Please tell me how you did it!

4. Anke

Anke Well-Known Member

Hi Lenny Bruce!
    There is language support for most languages on the Windows95-CDROM. You just have to install it by going to the system management on you computer, choicing "keyboard". There should be an option to add new language support tools. Then you can switch between the languages you've installed.You'll find out that the letters with hook are placed where the numbers on the American keyboard are. Have fun installing it and tell me if you succeeded!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thank you my friend! I will try it out now.
    I am sick of typing s^ and c^ and r^ ect...
    peace
    -Lenny

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well, I tried it, but guess what? Czech wasn't listed! Nor was any Slavic language. Can I get them on somehow? Do I download them somewhere? Thanks for the help.
    -Lenny

7. Anke

Anke Well-Known Member

Sorry then... maybe you can download it at www.microsoft.com
    I'm not sure whether the address is right. I don't know how to help you otherwise.
    Hope you succeed... Anke

8. Local Lingo

Local Lingo Active Member

I have started a new thread under Language that will address the issues of typing and displaying characters in many languages. People can share their experiences and solutions in working with foreign languages.

Are you using Windows? If so, what version do you have? Hopefully the steps listed there will be helpful. Please let me know how it works out.

Please post any comments you might have at that thread, which can be found at: http://www.locallingo.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/000026.html

[This message has been edited by Local Lingo (edited May 29, 2000).]