constructions with "prý"

Discussion in 'Grammar & Pronunciation' started by Lorenzo, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Well-Known Member

Hi! [​IMG]

I recently learned an interesting grammar construction from my experiences out there on the road [​IMG] as I was introduced to a new Czech word: prý [​IMG]
    I was given a few examples and now I'd like to learn a bit more about it.
    Is "prý" only used when making a supposition based on reported facts or is it also possible to express a personal opinion with this construction?
    Again, I can't find this word on my dictionary (I should definitely try to find a more specific one!) but I'm told it means something like "it is said that" but, could it also be translated as "maybe"?

What's the difference in meaning between these two sentences?

- Prý je Brno taky krasné město

- Myslím, že Brno je taky krasné město

Talking about "maybe": do "asi" and "možna" mean exactly the same thing?
    It's just my impression but I think "možna" is more widely used but I guess it's just a matter of style [​IMG]

Thank you for your attention.

Lorenzo

[This message has been edited by Lorenzo (edited January 25, 2003).]

2. czech6chic

czech6chic New Member

Hi Lorenzo,
    your question is interesting, let me tell you.. I was born in Czech but now I live in Canada, trying to speak your language.
    Anyway,
    "Pry je Brno taky krasne mesto" means "Its said (they say) Brno is also a nice city".
    "Myslim, ze Brno je taky krasne mesto" means " I think, that Brno is also a nice city".
    And difference in between "asi" and "mozna"..
    its hard to tell, really. Let me think about it a bit.. I see, its kinda hard to explain my own language, but I try my best. I dont know, if I was much of a help, but if you have any other question, please dont hesitate to ask. It makes me very happy, when people are trying to learn my language, since almost the whole world speaks English.
    Good luck.
    P.S. Please excuse my grammar [​IMG]

3. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Hi Lorenzo,

The word "prý" means "supposedly", "it is supposed to", "they say", "it is said"...

Prý je Brno taky krásné mesto - Brno is supposed to be... / They say Brno is... - you heard it from someone, read it in a guidebook, etc. but you don't know from your own experience because you haven't been there or seen it.

"Asi" and "mozná" mean the same thing - probability, possibility. It seems to me that there is slightly more uncertainty in "mozná" than in "asi". E.g. "asi tam budeme" can be translated as "we'll probably be there" (there's a good chance) while "mozná tam budeme" is more uncertain and is better translated as "we may be there / there's a possibility we'll be there". I think you can safely replace "asi" with "pravdepodobne" (probabilmente?) and "mozná" with "maybe" (magari?).

4. Lorenzo

Ahoj czech6chic a Dano!

Thank you for your help [​IMG]

Prý je český jazyk těžký ale myslím, že s vaši pomocí mohu vyřešit každý problém [​IMG]

Dana, you?re right "Pravděpodobně" means "probabilmente" (probably) in Italian while I would translate "možna" as "forse" (maybe, perhaps) while "magari" has a different meaning or, rather, it's normally used when expressing a wish something would happen (magari= if only) though it can also replace "forse".
    Dano, jak dlouho se naučiš italsky? [​IMG]

P.S. czech6chic, my mother tongue is Italian

[This message has been edited by Lorenzo (edited January 26, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by Lorenzo (edited January 26, 2003).]

5. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Ahoj Lorenzo,

You used "prý" and "myslím" in the sentence correctly. Great job! Two little notes: you always have to place a comma before "ale", and s "vasí" has a long "í".

You know, I was deciding between magari and forse and wasn't sure what the difference was. Thank you for the explanation! I think forse is used more often, isn't it? I'm not studying Italian now. I did about 10 years ago and I can understand written Italian sufficiently well but I don't really speak it. I can get by, that's about it.

Oh, one more thing: "Jak dlouho se ucís italsky" (unfinished, continuous action), not "naucís", which means a finished, completed action. Aren't I a stickler? [​IMG]

6. Lorenzo

Hi Dana,

Thank you a lot for your clarification!
    I don't think you're a stickler. You're a very good teacher doing a great job [​IMG]
    And, yes, I think that "forse" is more used than "magari" though I must admit that today I have caught myself saying "magari" at least three times [​IMG] and I have just realized that, if I had used "forse" instead, my sentences would have sounded a bit different.
    Hey, I'm learning new things even about my own language! [​IMG]

Lorenzo