Přát si and aby

Discussion in 'Grammar & Pronunciation' started by Lorenzo, May 18, 2003.

1. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Well-Known Member

Hi again!
    I have learned a new verb: "přát si". I know it means "to hope" or "to wish".
    Now my question is: Is it always used in association with the conjunction "aby" and does it always refer to present state of things?
    Should it always be "Přeju si, aby počasí bylo hezké" (I hope that the weather is fine) or can I also say "Přeju si, že zitra počasí bude hezké"?

Lorenzo

2. finn

finn Active Member

There are two possibilities: "...přeji si, aby ... (se něco stalo)" or "přeji si (něco)". The form with "že" cannot be used. Examples:

"Přeji si, aby zítra bylo hezké počasí."/"Na zítřek si přeji pěkné počasí." which could be translated as "I wish nice weather for tomorrow."

"Přeji ti, abys uspěl."/"Přeji ti úspěch." which means "I wish you success."

I'm not sure if "přát si" could be translated as "to hope", I'm translating it as "to wish/want" but if I'm wrong someone will correct me [​IMG]

3. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken, the verb "přát si" actually refers to the future state of things since you wish that something will (would) happen. As finn pointed out, "přeji/přeju si, aby..." (I wish that...) is followed by a verbal construction - "...aby BYLO hezky" (that the weather is nice), "...abys USPĚL" (that you succeed), whereas "přeji/přeju si něco" (I wish something) is used in connection with an object in the 4th case - "přeji ti vše nejlepší" (I wish you all the best).

In essence, "přát si" usually expresses hope, but the verb literally means "to wish". The verb "to hope" is translated as "doufat" and is followed by "že":

"Doufám, že ti toto vysvětlení pomohlo" - I hope this explanation helped
    "Doufám, že ti toto vysvětlení pomůže" - I hope this explanation will help
    "Doufám, že ti každé vysvětlení pomáhá" - I hope every explanation helps

As you can see, you can use "doufat" with any tense. [​IMG]

4. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Well-Known Member

Děkuji finn a Dano!

Vaše vysvětlení mi pomohlo a přeji si,abych tady vždy našel pomoc [​IMG]

Lorenzo