Prepositions vs Instrumental

Discussion in 'Grammar & Pronunciation' started by Lorenzo, Oct 4, 2003.

1. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Well-Known Member

Ahoj lidičky [​IMG]

Můžu se na něco zeptat? [​IMG]
    Which is the right preposition to use if I need to say "through the city" in Czech? Would it be "přes" or "skrz"? Do they have the same meaning or is there any difference between the two?
    And do the following sentences have the same meaning?
    1) Pojel jsem přes/skrz město - 2) Projel jsem městem

Diky moc a mejte se!

Lorenzo

[This message has been edited by Lorenzo (edited 04-10-2003).]

2. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Hi,
    you can use all three expressions, they mean the same; "projel jsem městem" is the most correct one, "projel jsem přes město" is common language and "projel jsem skrz město" is colloquial. However, "skrz" implies some effort to get through, like "dívat se skrz klíčovou dírku" = to look through a key hole.

3. Lorenzo

Hi Jana,

Thank you a lot for your vysvětlení! That really makes a lot of things clearer!
    I had the impression the use of the instrumental was "more Czech" (if I can say that). So it's also possible to do wrong to a classic Czech tongue twister and turn it into "Strč prst krkem" making a vowel pop up amidst that good old clash of consonants? [​IMG]

Ještě jednou děkuju

Lorenzo

4. Jirka

Jirka Well-Known Member

Nazdar Lorenzo,

předem se omlouvám, že jsem tu nový a hned se hrnu do psaní.

Vazbu 'přes/skrz město' bych spojil spíše s nedokonavým videm: 'jel jsem', nejpíše abych zdůraznil, že jsem to město třeba neobjel. Často se to používá, když 'město' znamená jenom střed města = downtown. Příklad: "Nejel jsem tam po okruhu, ale přes město."

Obávám se, že tvé vylepšení známého jazykolamu se neobejde bez úpravy. Předložka 'skrz' je tam poměrně důležitá, ale lze ji nahradit předponou u slovesa: 'Prostrč prst krkem.'. Já vím, se dvěma samohláskami to už není žádný jazykolam.

Pokud jsem použil příliš velké množství češtiny, dejte mi někdo vědět a příště to napíšu anglicky.

Jirka

5. Jirka

Jirka Well-Known Member

Hello,

that's me again, this time in English.

The former of the original suggestions, "Projel jsem město.", would probably be used in utterances like "Projel jsem celé město.", "Projel jsem město křížem krážem." or "Projel jsem město skrz naskrz.". The last two, besides having the idioms at their ends, are stronger than the first one in expressing how much traveling was involved. So "projet město" most corresponds to "go/drive round the city" or suchlike.

Jirka

6. Lorenzo

Ahoj Jirko!

Děkuju mockrát za tvůj přínos!
    You have suggested to use the prepositions " přes/skrz" in association with imperfective verbs so the correct translation of "I went through the city" (what I mean to express is "from one end to the other") would be "Jel jsem přes (nebo, skrz) město"? Otherwise "jel jsem mesto" would mean that I rode around town. Did I get it right? I would still say "Projel jsem městEM" if I mean to express that my ride was "through town". The construction is the same as in "Prostrč prst krkem" (perfective verb + instrumental case), isn't it? By the way I would still consider it a jazykolam ;-)

Ještě jednou diky!

Lorenzo

7. Jirka

Jirka Well-Known Member

Ahoj Lorenzo,

zda byl můj příspěvek přínosem je na tvém posouzení. Anyway, in English now.

There is a mistake in one sentence in your above query: "Jel jsem město." doesn't work since 'město' is the nominative while the noun must be in instrumental there, "Jel jsem městem.".

To recap, we have three wordings:
    1) Projel jsem městem.
    2) Jel jsem přes/skrz město.
    3) Projel jsem město.

If you want to use the sentence as part of a description of a journey, I think that "Projel jsem městem." is the best choice.

"Jel jsem přes město." is very similar, but 'město' often means just the _town centre_ in this one and it also emphasizes it's opposed to other options, such as 'I took the ring road.'.

I feel that "Projel jsem město." is different from "Projel jsem městem." in that it usually means something to the sense of 'I travelled up and down the city.' (perhaps to shop around or find a place).

Depending on the context, they might be all exchangable, especially if you're giving an account of a trip's sections.

I don't claim completeness or entire faultlessness of my explanation, but I tried to look at it from different angles.

Hey, and I agree that "Prostrč prst krkem." has enough tough consonant clusters in it to classify at least as a tongue warper if not tongue twister...

Jirka