Would anyone be interested in helping with a Czech case web-

Discussion in 'Grammar & Pronunciation' started by shawn, Oct 14, 2003.

1. shawn

shawn Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, I've been trying now for a couple of months to learn Czech, and to be honest, the pád system is quite confusing to me. In effort to try and figure it out, I started a website to plug in basic case information. It's going slowly, because I'm never quite sure if the info I enter is correct, as the only 2 friends I have who are native Czech speakers can only usually offer me limited time, and I don't want to get greedy with them...beside, it's more fun talking with them, than getting into grammar...

If anyone is interested, please have a look at the following lnk. I only have the first 2 cases started, and there are many holes that I'm hoping someone who is flunet in Czech can help me with, including the format itself.

Hopefully, it will add to the web's information for people like me [​IMG]

Most of the info came from here, bohemica, and my 2 friends...

http://www3.sympatico.ca/shawngibson/czech/index.html

Děkují Pěkně!!!

Shawn (Šóny as my Czech friends write it LOL)

2. Jirka

Jirka Well-Known Member

Hi Shawn,

I've checked out your "pády" webstuff a bit. I like your project and would like to help, but right now I'm very busy, so only a few observations from my looking at the

Nominative:

1. It's not a real mistake, but I would use "I" in place of your "Me" to make sure everybody sees it's the subject form. "Me" doesn't go together with the others in the line well, anyway. (It's reversed with the Genitive you already have there and the other cases).

2. The example noun "sestre" shoud be "sestra". "Sestře" is the dative.

3. The example sentence at the bottom has a typo, wrong diacritics: "Kamařad" should be "Kamarád".

4. Besides "ono", the neutral third person singular personal pronoun can also be "to", possessive, "toho" (the latter being of little practical use).

Generally speaking, you have included the possessive adjectives/pronouns for singular objects only, but there are potentially and actually different forms for plural nouns that follow them. For example "mí/moji bratři", "mé/moje sestry", "má/moje auta".

Also, you have so far only shown forms for pronouns. What about nouns? Are you going to put them there?

I've looked a little at the genitive and there are some mistakes too.

I'll write again when I get to have the time.

Jirka

3. shawn

shawn Well-Known Member

Hi Jirka, thanks very much for looking. I know there are going to be errors, but the thing is for me to learn. It's hard, sometimes, to tell the right way to do some of this stuff when working largely from websites...

I'll make those corrections you noted over the weekend [​IMG]

I plan on fitting in noun endings too, just have to figure out a feasible way to keep it a one-page-per-case system, which is my aim. Also fitting adjectives in, I hope, i.e., all case related stuff.

I'm hoping to put maybe 30-50 example sentences on each page, to show especially the preopositions, noun endings, etc.

I'm sure it will take me some time, but it's worth it for me, I really enjoy learning Czech [​IMG]

Thanks again, Jirka [​IMG]

Shawn

4. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Hi Shawn,

I looked at your site and saw what you have started to put together. I'm sorry you weren't able to find all that information on this site. We are always looking for feedback and trying to make Local Lingo an even better resource for our visitors.

We will be happy to add information on the declension of nouns, adjectives, pronouns and numerals to Local Lingo. That way you won't have to struggle putting it all together yourself and will be able to spend more time actually studying the language. [​IMG]

Please let us know what all you would like to see on Local Lingo. We want to grow this site and need to hear from people like you!

5. shawn

shawn Well-Known Member

Děkuji pěkně, Dana.

This is an invaluable site, and I am very happy for it, upřimně [​IMG]

Czech is the first language I've ever tried to learn, and the problem for me is my lack of understanding of 'grammar' in general, such that learning the pádý is driving me bananas, as is aspect with verbs.

The way I'm learning in general, I walk around with one sheet of paper that has a very large number of phrases on it (when I go home I'll upload it for you...), and my two Czech friends are always doing everything they can to help me, but it's difficult for them to teach me grammar, because they are both very busy. But I don't want to be forever a tourist-speaker. I want to learn for real. So, I'm trying to learn grammar. I hope that makes sense. My Ůčitelka has a heart of gold, she loves her language, and that is part of it for me too. To feel such passion for one's language, that means something. And to be honest, Czech is the most beautiful languge I've heard, to my ears.

Back to the problem...I have not figured out yet what is going to work 'for me' to bring this all together, but it seems to me that, if I can bring together everything that revolves around case, into one system that is on one page (per case), even if there are too few examples, I will still have a good grounding-point when used in conjunction with my dictionaries, previous knowledge, etc.

I think prepositions are the elements that will unravel the mystery for me...

I have to fix the errors which Jirka spoke of, that's the first step...

Talk soon,

Shawn [​IMG]

6. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

7. shawn

shawn Well-Known Member

Hi Dana. Thank you very much for this! I'm sorry it has taken me so long to get back, I've been quite busy.

I've been looking at the new pages you put up, and they are very helpful.

...Hopefully I can sneak myself away this weekend for a few hours...to come here [​IMG]

Shawn [​IMG]