help explain this

Discussion in 'Grammar & Pronunciation' started by Calvario, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Calvario

Calvario Well-Known Member

One of the practice sentences I am studying has two parts I don't understand.

Kromě her překládám rád povídky takových českých autorů, jako JSOU Neruda a Hermann. Rozdíl mezi DIVADELNÍMI hrami a některými jejich povídkami.........

Besides plays I like to translate the stories of such authors like Neruda and Hermann. The difference between plays and some of their stories......

1-What is the meaning of JSOU in this context. Could it be written just as well ",jako Neruda a Hermann"?

2- Is divadelními here an adjective(instrumental) for "theatrical". I know there is a neuter noun "divadlo" meaning theatre.

Thanks,
    Calvario

2. eso

eso Well-Known Member

"Jsou" is form of verb "být" for "oni"

Oni jsou - They are

jako JSOU Neruda a Hermann - like Neruda and Hermann ARE (I'm not sure, if it's right form in English, but only for comprehension)

And yes, divadelní is theatrical.

3. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

I think you can use the form without the verb jsou if you decline both Neruda and Hermann in the genitive, since you're referring to plays of Czech authors, e.g. Neruda and Hermann. So perhaps you could say,

"Kromě her překládám rád povídky takových českých autorů, jako [na př.] Nerudy a Hermanna."

4. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

This is correct, but also the form "jako Neruda a Hermann" would be possible, in this case the "jsou" were considered, but not written.

Only remark: "na př." is now written together "např." :)

5. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Díky, Karle. Just for reference, since you have helped me and others on this site with Czech (and because turnabout is fair play :wink: ), in English, it is better to use the word "implied" rather than "considered" for something not said, but understood.

6. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

Thanks, owl 8)

7. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Yes, divadelní means theatrical, but I think you can skip this adjective in English translation. In Czech we need to be more specific, because hra has more meanings (play, game, show, act(ing)...).

Divadelní hra could be the performance, the playbook and also the literal genre. In all cases you can use simply drama.