jako ...expressing the 'role'

Discussion in 'Grammar & Pronunciation' started by Kikko, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Kikko

Kikko Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    long time since I dont bother you guys with my grammar related questions [​IMG]

Im into a text of my book. Here's the book's sentence:
    "Jako jedina ze tri dcer svych rodicu, mam vlasy doslova a do pismane rezavé jako liska"

Since I wasnt able to get the correct meaning I asked a dear friend, Katka, who told me "As the only one of three daughters of my parents..."

I knew jako was used to express the role of someone (as friend, as student, as whatever) but in this case this sounds strange to me.

Is it right to express the role that way? (well sure it is, since that's a university text)

I would rather say "Jako dcera, jsem jedina ze tri ktera ma..."
    I think this really express the role... "as daughter I'm the only one of three who has..."

Really, written in the book's way it doesnt seems to me to express the role

I thank you all already

btw long time I dont see Lorenzo around the forum

2. Missbarbecue

Missbarbecue Member

Hi,

Well, I think this "jako" belongs to the word "jediná" and not "dcera"

It means "I'm the only daughter of my parents who has red hair."

It's similar to "Jako jediná ze třídy jsem dostala jedničku" or "Jako jediný z vesnice má počítač." :)

3. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Hi Kikko!

Both Katka and Missbarbecue had it right. The "jako" here is linked to "the only", not to the "daughter" - "As the only one of the three daughters of my parents...".

If you say "Jako dcera, jsem jediná ze tří, která má...", it would mean "As a daughter, I'm the only one of the three whose hair is red...". However, she's not stressing her role as a daughter (all three of them are daughters). Instead, she's stressing her role of being the only one whose hair is red. Does that make sense?

Dana

4. Kikko

Kikko Well-Known Member

jj the construction now makes sense :)

What doesnt is the teacher's choice of the role (as the only one instead of as daughter) but this isnt Cz related.

Thanx y'all