Bohemian and Moravian

Discussion in 'Grammar & Pronunciation' started by doman, Mar 10, 2007.

1. doman

doman Well-Known Member

I'd learnt Czech language in Czech, my Czech teacher was from Ceske Budejovice. I spoke Czech but all my Czech friends had said that I'd got Moravian tonality.

It's was very interest but I couldn't recognize the diffierent from Bohemian accent to Moravian. I missed the opportunity to clarify it !

Who is maybe explainable the difference ?

Thanks !

2. Ájík

Ájík Well-Known Member

Believe me Doman, the only accent which You might have in your Czech, is Vietnamese. :wink:

For You as a foreigner would be very difficult to tell apart between various accents. There is no only a Bohemian and Moravian accent but it might be differ from the regions.

3. doman

doman Well-Known Member

Exactly ! But I would like to know how can be reconized between Czechs and Moravians, not a twig from a foreigner. Show me some examples ! 8) 8) If not, I will speak Vietnamese to you :twisted:

4. Ájík

Ájík Well-Known Member

Ok, I will give You an advise how to safely recognise between Czech accents.

It's so easy, just arrive to the CR and live here at least ten years. :twisted:

Than You will see.

5. Eleshar

Eleshar Well-Known Member

For non-schooled person, the most easy way to recognise the differences is the lexikon and morphology which is somehow different.
    In phonetics, it is trickier. The Moravians have generally more closed vowels E and O and slightly different phonotactic rules for assimilation of sonority in consonant clusters.
    On suprasegmental level... sincerely, I do ot know, but I suppose the main difference is that the Czech people are notorious for their tendence of not varying the intonation too much (in comparison to other languages), while in Moravia, intonational modalities are (probably) more prevalent.
    I know that some east-asian languages are tonal (for example Chinese), but I am not sure whethet vietnamese belongs among them. If so, it is possible that you have increased capacity in imitating suprasegmental units, but still I doubt that you would sound more Moravian (or South-Bohemian) than Vietnamese. If Vietnamese is not tonal language, in my opinion it is impossible.

6. doman

doman Well-Known Member

Thanks Martin !

I thought this is what I am looking for !

Vietnamese is more tonality than Chinese :D , we're speaking and they say we're singing (with 5 tones as in music :) )
    You're right !

7. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Bohemian people is more unequivocal here, right?
    Well, it's more complicated with the tendence of not varying. The Bohemian sentence melody is quite varying. Praguers are often said to be singing instead of speaking.
    In my region (the south border area of the north-eastern Bohemian dialect speaking area), the melody of indicative sentence sounds often as a question (to my in the mother-line Moravian ears), and a question as a question smoothly turning into a wailing :D.

The differencies are hardly describable in words, but they are clear. They even influenced folklore songs. The Bohemian songs tends to be in the major scale, the Moravian ones in the minor scale.

8. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

Recently, the differences between dialects are vanishing as result of media (TV, radio) influence and people movement.
    Typical is still the North Moravian dialect (Ostrava, Polish border region): The consonants are short, the stress similar to polish one.
    Typical is also the dialect from Brno, South Moravia,...
    Lesser differences are among the dialects in Bohemia.

9. Eleshar

Eleshar Well-Known Member

The vowels are short :wink: For consonants, there is no point in considering their length (er... my inner phonetician is crying, but no, not in this forum:))

10. Karel_lerak

8) 8) 8)
    You don't know ŕ and ĺ :D :D

11. Ájík

Ájík Well-Known Member

Interesting. I live in the North Moravia and and our dialect has nothing to do with the Ostrava, or Polish accent. Absolutely nothing. The Ostrava's accent is strange for us. You cannot put the "North Moravia"to a box marked "The consonants are short, the stress similar to polish one." This is not true. The Polish accent can be recognized only closer to the Polish border (Ostrava, Č.Těšín...). By the way - North Moravia is not Ostrava only... .
    Sorry but I don't like boxies, and in this case is funny to talking like "these people talking this way and these this way".
    Maybe it's only your "Prague" point of view :?: :?: :!: :!:

12. Karel_lerak

May be I should write more precisely in Ostrava and near the Polish border at the northeast of north Moravia 8) 8)
    And, of course, the vowels. not consonants... :oops:

13. Ájík

Ájík Well-Known Member

Don't take it personally Karel, 8)
    it was not targeting against you, but against boxies 8)

14. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Ájík, did you have a bad day at the office? :wink: :lol: :lol:

Bůh ti žehnej s lasko od Ježíš :wink: :) :D :)

Katka

15. Ájík

Ájík Well-Known Member

Not at all! Bad day with the boxies.... :)

16. dzurisova

I don't get it :? What are boxies?

17. Zeisig

Zeisig Well-Known Member

boxies = Ájík's attempt to translate škatulky into English :)

According to the dictionary škatulky are pigeonholes like in "Do not try to fit people into pigeonholes".

18. Ájík

Ájík Well-Known Member

Thanks Zeisig. I'm sorry I thought the word "boxies" would be clear.
    I'm looking to a translator now, and it really says: "pigeonholes"; or direct word "škatulkovat" says as "compartmentalize". :)

You know: "You're red- You're bad; You're pink-You're stink ... ." :D

Anyway, how is it right in English?

19. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

I think perhaps the best translation is categorize, and that Ájík's talking about a pet peave that people tend to want to sort everything into predefined categories, when many things are unique and therefore don't fit into any category. I don't think the word pigeonhole is as common in the U.S. as in Britain, but is correct nonetheless.

20. dzurisova

Ajik, you always make me laugh. I'm surprised no one has corrected my Czech sentence. I was anticipating the correction. I know it's wrong. :)