Female Surnames

Discussion in 'Grammar & Pronunciation' started by BunBun, Apr 30, 2007.

1. BunBun

BunBun New Member

Hello, everyone. :)

My surname is Vorisek. Wikipedia states that females use a female version of their surname. Wiki gives examples (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czech_name) but not for a name that ends in "sek." What would the female version be? I'm just curious. I would also like to know how my name is pronounced in Czech.

Thank you. :)

2. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

The feminine version of Voříšek is Voříšková. In general, with a -ček/-šek/sek/cek ending, drop the "e" and add -ová.

3. BunBun

BunBun New Member

Thank you, Sova. :)

How is Vorisek pronounced? I say it Vori-sek (the s almost sounds like a z), but I have a feeling that can't be right.

4. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

The š is pronounced like a "sh." The ř is a complex sound, and has been discussed by others, so rather than try to explain myself, I'll point you to two other threads:
    ř,
    The famous "R" consonant !!

Other than that, the i is a long E sound like the E in English, the a is an "ah" sound. Everything else is basically the same as in English. By the way, the "accent" marks over the vowels are not really accents (stress is invariably on the first syllable in Czech), but vowel "lengtheners" (called a "čarka" or "charka") which simply lengthen the duration of the vowel's pronunciation.

5. Kanadanka

Kanadanka Well-Known Member

vorzheesheck (with rzh being the famous Czech R)

6. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

Voříšek is a little nut.
    ořech = nut
    oříšek = little nut (deminutive of "ořech")
    voříšek = colloquially oříšek 8)

vořech, voříšek is also a nickname for dogs with no special race 8)

It is rather common surname. In the telephone book of Prague there are at least 80 surnames Voříšek and about 50 Voříšková.