NA-always a prepostion?

Discussion in 'Grammar & Pronunciation' started by Calvario, May 8, 2007.

1. Calvario

Calvario Well-Known Member

Came across this short sweet saying. Not sure about something though.

...na české poměry. ...by Czech standards.

I'm not sure if "na" is acting as a preposition here. If it is, what case is being used here? Trivial i known but it's these little questions that bug me. :shock:

Thank you.
    calvario

2. fabik317

fabik317 Well-Known Member

na koho/co - accusative case

3. Eleshar

Eleshar Well-Known Member

I concur. "české poměry" are in accusative. What probably confuses you is the fact that it is the same form as nominative, is it not. But it is normal with inanimate nouns.

4. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Note, the preposition "na" can be followed by either the locative or accusative. Locative case with "na" is most often used when a position or state of being is being discussed:

Kniha je na stolu. (The book is on the table)
    Bydlím na Floridě. (I live in Florida)

Accusative with "na" usually implies motion:

Polož knihu na stůl. (Put the book on the table)
    Přestěhovali jsme se na Floridu. (We moved to Florida).

The case you bring up seems to be an exception to that general rule, so I'm not sure why the accusative is used. Perhaps someone can enlighten Calvario and me.

5. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

In this case it's another meaning of preposition "na", not connected with place or movement.

Similarly:
    "na české poměry"
    "na můj vkus",
    "na mne je to moc"
    "na své stáří",
    "oslepnout na jedno oko",
    "úbytek na váze"
    according to "Vocabulary of literary Czech":
    "vyjadřuje vztah, zřetel nebo omezení vlastnosti nebo stavu"
    = expresses relation, aspect or limitation of a property or a state

6. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Sorry - correct is Kniha je na stole.

7. Calvario

Calvario Well-Known Member

Sova

I'm glad you responded as you did. I was thinking the same thing, just too tired to write at the time.

Thanks,
    Calvario

8. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Just to answer the question in the title of the thread - "NA-always a prepostion?". Although "na" functions as a preposition in the vast majority of cases, it can also be used as an interjection when handing/offering someone something:

Na! - Here!, Here you go!

But you may have already known that.

9. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Oh man! Did I mess that one up again? You'd think I would have learned by now. :oops: (Thanks Jana!)

10. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Here's where Sova pops an aneurysm: My first thought was, "Hey, isn't that only in Russian?" Now, I'm scratching my head trying to remember from 11+ years ago if I've ever heard Czechs use this expression.

11. Eleshar

Eleshar Well-Known Member

"na stolu" is also acceptable I think (but not sure), although the prevalent (strongly prevalent) variant is with -e. Although it sounds unusual, it does not make me think that the user cannot speak Czech.

12. vturchi

vturchi Well-Known Member

My chzech grammar's book (Chcete mluvit cesky) gives both alternatives:

...je na stole

...je na stolu

PS sorry but I cannot use czech accent!

13. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

My family doesn't use it (the one I married into, not really mine). Perhaps it has something to do with the part of Czech they are from? They are from Ceske Budejovice. Could that be why?

14. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Did you ask them? I’m doubtful they don’t know it. It’s quite frequent. But it is used only in informal Czech, in formal speech you have to use something like “prosím”.

Na, vem si! ~ Help yourself! / Have one!

Na, tady to máš. ~ Here you are. / Take it - here you have what you ask for.

15. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

Even the form "Nate!" is used in plural or with "vykání" :)

16. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

:? No, I didn't ask them. I'm just saying that I've never heard them use it. So I thought maybe it was a Moravian thing or something. I guess not. :)

17. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Thanks, all, for the elaboration. I really need to go back to the Czechlands and brush the cobwebs off.