Grammar Question

Discussion in 'Grammar & Pronunciation' started by Tmassey27, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Tmassey27

Tmassey27 Member

Hello to all,

I want to mention firstly that I am teaching myself Czech, not such a good idea but I am having moderate success, in part mostly to the help I have received here.

quick clarification of a phrase

When do I use comma's? From what I seen so far they mostly divide verb conjugations, so as an example, the pharse "I don't know who wrote it"

what would it be,

"Kdo neznam, to pasl"
    "neznam, to kdo psal"

obviously I am also a bit confused about word order, but thats another lesson

is this close? I know there are many ways to say it, please simple versions only, my poor head is already overworked from studying this infinitely complex, yet infinitely interesting language...

2. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

I don´t know who wrote it -
    "nevím, kdo to psal" or "nevím, kdo to napsal".

3. Tmassey27

Tmassey27 Member

Thank you! I had written it as "nevim" the first time but got confused with using the author (and using znat) or the subject (and using vedet)

Thank you!

4. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Neznám toho, kdo to napsal. = "I don't know the person who wrote it," i.e. I have never met him (not acquainted with him), although I might know his name.

Nevím, kdo to napsal. = "I don't know who wrote it," i.e. I don't know his/her name.

You're probably aware that vědět is used for knowing facts, and znat is used for acquaintance with the person. You need to use vědět here, since the question is knowing what the author's name is. This is a question of fact, rather than of acquaintance.

5. Tmassey27

Tmassey27 Member

Very well put, many other languages have two verbs for the exact same purpose of explaining that so I am very familiar with the concept.

thank for clearing that up though, they were great examples...

6. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

As usually, there are exceptions, e.g. neznám odpověď (I do not know the answer).

7. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

That really is an exception.
    I would not have guessed that 'znat' would be the verb in that sentence.
    Víš, kdo napsal tu knihu? Je mi lito, neznám odpověd'.
    Got to love the exceptions.
    Besides, of course, accents, it is the use of irregularities that show true familiarity with the language.

8. Tmassey27

Tmassey27 Member

Exceptions are wonderful! they make studying languages just that more exciting :) thank you for that info!

9. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

... and (at times) frustrating. :? :)

Thanks for reminding me of that exception, Jana--that's one I've heard, but never really internalized (and forgot many years ago).

10. 1500

1500 Active Member

Od Sovy:
    Neznám toho, kdo to napsal. = "I don't know the person who wrote it," i.e. I have never met him (not acquainted with him), although I might know his name.

Proc ne: Neznam ho, kdo to napsal. ?

11. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Neznám toho, kdo to napsal. = I don't know who wrote it.

Neznam ho, kdo to napsal. I don't know him wrote it.

12. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

"Neznám ho, kdo to napsal?"

In a special context it may mean:

We read an article about some man and speak about it with somebody (there are two different sentences combined into one):

Neznám ho (I don't know the person, described in the article), kdo to napsal (who has written the article)?