Preposition 'o'

Discussion in 'Grammar & Pronunciation' started by MichaelM, Dec 23, 2007.

1. MichaelM

MichaelM Well-Known Member

Though I am probably misunderstanding these authors' teachings or context, I have found that David Short makes a statement in his book that the locative case is required after 'o' (about). However, Heim's textbook has the example of 'zajimat se o koho co' (accusative). I must be missing something here. Any explanation for the difference. Thanks.

2. Wicker808

Wicker808 Well-Known Member

From http://www.skullsplitter.net/czwiki/index.php/Main/O:

See the full article for more details. Hope that's helpful.

3. MichaelM

Dekuji Wicker 808. The full article is very enlightening though somewhat daunting, but it explains my question.

4. DanielZ

DanielZ Well-Known Member

Wicker808,

Thanks a million for that WIKI address. I really appreciate you giving that to us.

Merry Christmas,
    Dan

5. Wicker808

Wicker808 Well-Known Member

No problem, DanielZ. There are some good articles there, but it's highly incomplete and full of small errors.

6. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

There are a few other prepositions which can take multiple declensions, depending on context, usage or the verb used with it, e.g. "v" and "na."

7. MichaelM

Yes, Sova, I have been noticing what you mention, especially the usage of certain cases with certain verbs. At times, it appears that certain verbs require a case, no matter the position or usage of the declining word in question. Some verbs require a case such as rozumet and others require a set preposition in a particular case. Very interesting.