Personal and Possessive Pronouns

Discussion in 'Grammar & Pronunciation' started by britishboxershorts, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Hey everyone,
    I was wondering if you had any tips or methods on how to memorize the personal and possessive pronouns. There are just so many of them that it's hard to keep track of. (I know some of the cases have similar ones and even exactly the same ones).

Any tips? :)

2. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

You're not the only one who's having problems with them, which is probably why no-one's replied! I'm only just starting to remember any of them, after a year of learning Czech. I'm starting to put together tables of them, to get them all in the same place but I've only got up to the 4th case so far. If you're interested, let me have your email address and I'll email you what I've done.

The ones that have stuck so far are those with prepositions because those are useful phrases that I've been able to learn so how about trying those first? And I've just realised that with nas v nam and vas v vam, all the cases are nas/vas apart from dative and instrumental. That's given me more confidence to use them.

Not much I know, but I regard it as a start!

3. KiwiCroat

KiwiCroat Member

Use the various pronouns in dative, genitive, accusative settings etc... Get practise for how they work in sentences. What role do they play?

Start with something fairly simple, say, just me and you and perhaps 'it'.

So...

Datives:
    Nevěřím tomu - I don't believe it.
    Nevěřím nikomu z (vás... genitive you) - I don't believe anyone of you.

Instrumental (with, by what means):
    Chtěl bych jít s tebou - I would like to go with you
    Chtěli byste jít se mnou - Would you like to go with me?

Accusative:
    Uvařím oběd pro tebe - I will cook lunch for you.
    Pěkně vítám vás (u nás... this part is genitive as it follows the preposition 'u') - I nicely welcome you to our place.
    Neviděl jsem se skoro celý týden - I have not seen you almost all week.

Find examples of them being used in sentences and then practise them with other verbs.

This has worked for me.

Regards
    Fred