Pronunciation problems for Czech speakers in English

Discussion in 'Grammar & Pronunciation' started by shr90602, Apr 15, 2004.

1. shr90602

shr90602 New Member

I am a student teacher and I am teaching a pronunciation class for non-English speakers. I have a czech student who has a fairly strong accent in English. My job is to see if I can reduce her accent to make it easier to understand her.

Does anyone know of any specific websites or have information on specific czech problems and solutions. I have lots of textbooks on pronunciation problems in general, but I am looking for specific information on the Czech language.

Thank you very much

2. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

I've heard from some Czech students of English that they were told to speak English as though they had a hot potato in their mouth :lol:. I guess the point is that Czechs tend not to open their mouths much when they speak, as opposed to English speakers (especially Americans).

3. skret

skret Member

I spent some time teaching basic conversation classes in the Czech Republic and I found that the hardest sounds for most students to make were "th" (both the voiced and un-voiced forms) as well as our impure vowels such as uh, ih, ah, etc. I found it most helpful to write pronunciation guides for the students acording to the closest Czech equivalent, such as writing the word 'wait' or 'weight' as: ouejt
    the 'j' in czech after a vowel often closes the vowel into a sort of dipthong with an 'i' sound. For those impure vowels, the best way is to sort of skip over them, because a Czech student will often pronouce 'pull' like 'pool' but if you simply wrote it out: 'PL' and to lenghten the 'L' a bit they might have it. As for the difficult 'th' sounds which are often mispronouced as s,z,d,t,f, the best way I found to teach it was to lightly bite the tounge between the front teeth and then let air escape while the lips are slightly parted. Well I hope this helps.