Czech lessons in Lancashire or NW England

Discussion in 'Language Exchange & Czech Classes' started by Cumacku, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Cumacku

Cumacku New Member

Dobry den

I am looking for Czech lessons or a native Czech tutor in Lancashire or pretty much anywhere in North West England, ie, Manchester, Liverpool, Bolton, Wigan etc etc.

I lived in CZ for a year ( Hradec Kralove ) and have the basics as far as ordering things and pronunciation and am married /seperated to a Czech but annoyingly for the last 5 years we have been over to visit family I always say that when we get back to UK I want her to teach me Czech. I would be living in a house with a Czech national so how better to learn ?!

Anyway, to cut a long story short, she never did. We are now seperated but I am determined to learn Czech.

So any tutors or classes out there please get in contact. If there are any other people in the area who are also learning Czech please also get in touch.

Diky moc.

2. laylah

laylah Well-Known Member

Hi there, and welcome to the boards.

I haven't had much luck myself finding Czech tuition or support in the North West. I even contacted the Czech and Slovac association to see if they had any contacts up this way, but they couldn't help.

Only place locally with Czech associations is listed in Manchester as the Czech bar - did you hear of it at all? I don't know it myself, but it's listed on the internet at 57, Booth Street West, Manchester - tel: 0161 226 1020. Known for Indie music, apparently, but info may be out of date so best ring up before rolling up!

Sorry can't be of more help - but good luck and if I do find anything else I'll post :)

3. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

I'm from Manchester originally and my father was a member of the Czech community up there, one of the many who came over in 1940 to join the RAF. They were stationed at Cholmondley Park near Chester when they first arrived in the UK. When I was growing up, there were quite a lot of the old boys around but sadly, nearly all of them have now gone.

Although there will be lots of second and third generation Czechs in the NW, like me, they won't speak Czech unfortunately.

I have just moved to Prague from London but before I left, I went to see one of the few who are left - a lovely old lady who lives near Warrington. While she wouldn't be up to teaching you, she may know some younger Czechs, perhaps some of the 68 generation. I will write and ask her.

4. Cumacku

Cumacku New Member

Ahoj Laylah

Yeah I've heard of the Czech bar in Manchester but that's pretty much all it is, a bar. With all of the Prague 'stag do' thing then the bar opened up in Manchester saying it was an authentic Czech bar with real Czech food, but all with ridiculously high English prices ! :shock:

So I'll have to keep looking I guess. I can find plenty of 'on line' places for naturally practising my reading and pronunciation but need someone to talk and practice with on a one-to-one to make sure I'm not developing bad habits at the start.

If I find anything I'll post.

Nazdar

5. ChrisEdwards

ChrisEdwards New Member

Hi all.
    I am looking to learn too. I know where the Czech bar is, it's close the the uni but I never never got the chance to drop in.
    I need to learn because I have a Czech girlfriend and I am very close to her and her family. Her sister is coming over to look for work very soon and although they all speak good english I feel a bit embarassed that I can't speak Czech. It would be so good to be able to converse with my Czech friends whenever I or they visit.
    I'm in Wrexham. Does anyone know for any work for a professional Czech lady? She's worked in the hotel trade most of her life. She's looking to settle down in the UK and she will be lodging at my home until she's settled.
    Hope to hear off someone soon.
    Thanks so much.
    Chris.

6. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Don't be embarrassed in the least! Most people I know who are embarrassed of their foreign language skill don't use them nearly as often as they could/should, and therefore learn much slower than those who swallow their pride and just go out and speak it in spite of the many errors they make. Plus, you'll score major points with your girlfriend and family for trying to speak and understand their language. :wink:

7. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Or Chris, you could do what I do. Go to the parties, wait till they all get drunk (and you've had a couple) and then start speaking it like crazy. At that point, they are speaking horrible English as well so no one cares about your czech. Also, no one remembers how bad it was the next day! :wink:

8. Cumacku

Cumacku New Member

Chris

I've found that the best way is to just speak it and make the mistakes and get corrected as you go. I lived all over Europe as a child and as an adult and the best way is to just dive in. People will always appreciate it when you make an attempt and never put you down for any mistakes. Even when you ask for 'July Marlboro' instead of Red Marlboro ! (Cervenec / Cerveny ) and it always makes it more fun. Never be embarrassed by trying to attempt a language. People appreciate it so much when English speaking people try and converse with them in their own languagge rather than having the standard attitude of most English speaking people that it is your God given right, regardless of where you are in the world, to be spoken to in your own language.

Go for it. And have fun ! :D

9. alexiajw

alexiajw New Member

I have been looking for a Czech tutor in the north west too, somewhere near Liverpool. I think it's almost impossible! If anyone finds a tutor, can you post on here please?

I agree, you just need to speak without worrying about the consequences if you are going to progress. Unfortunately, I get quite embarrassed about my Czech too. My Czech friends laugh at me coz they think I am like a parrot. I am confident only in saying the phrases that I hear repeatedly, so my spoken Czech is not only limited, but has some exceptionally random components.

10. Zuzana99

Zuzana99 New Member

Hi there :wink:

... i will be moving to Liverpool in September / maybe October 2007, not sure yet.

I'm "going" be a gap year (probably better to say years :) )student from Prague.

I'm NOT a professional tutor of Czech language!!!
    I was just born in Prague nearly 26 ys. ago :lol:
    ... but already "tried" to teach Bristol guy who is living in Prague Czech :oops:

I admit Czech lang. is nightmare :twisted:

btw. will be in Liver. from 30.8 till 8.9 / can meet for chat :D
    NOT LOOKING FOR BOY/GIRLFRIEND :!:

Zuzana

11. alexiajw

alexiajw New Member

Hi,

can't quite understand the dates in your message and have only just logged back on here, so my appologies if you've already been to Liverpool and left. If you are still around, it would be great to have someone help me with my Czech (I also am not looking for a boy/girlfriend so don't worry about that).

Alexia.

12. Zuzana99

Zuzana99 New Member

Hi,

I didn´t move there at the end.

so stay living in Prague - nothing personal.... but I don´t like Liverpool at all... the people there are so rude, kids are fxxking voilence - crazy place.

13. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

A very wise decision. Liverpool is awful but so is London - too many people, too much traffic and very dirty. That's why I moved to Prague and why I have no intention of going back.

14. LOLITKA

LOLITKA New Member

HI THERE
    IM CZECH NATIVE AND HAVE A BABY SO IM HOME ALL THE TIME SO
    IM DOING SOME PRIVET TUTORING ON THE SIDE AT THE MOMENT
    SO IF YOU STILL FANCY LEARNING CZECH I CAN BE AVAILABLE TO YOU
    YOU CAN CONTACT ME ON LOLITA.FOLEY@SEZNAM.CZ

15. LOLITKA

LOLITKA New Member

HI THERE
    IM CZECH NATIVE AND HAVE A BABY SO IM HOME ALL THE TIME SO
    IM DOING SOME PRIVET TUTORING ON THE SIDE AT THE MOMENT