Czech books

Discussion in 'Language Exchange & Czech Classes' started by scrimshaw, Feb 20, 2008.

1. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of buying another Czech language book.
    The two I'm looking at are 401 Czech verbs, and the new Step by Step(comes with a cd and workbook).
    The first is 44 dollars, the second 70 :shock: .
    Anybody got any helpful input on this decision? Suggestions?
    Anyone know where I can get them cheaper?

2. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

I have 401 Czech verbs and I use it but not that often, only as a reference when I'm doing homework or writing my mother-in-law, etc.

I also have Step by Step and David, I would say that your Czech is beyond it and it would be a waste of money for you.

3. scrimshaw

Dzurisova, you really think so? Thanks for that advice.
    I will not get the Step by Step then.
    That will save me money too.
    I'll probably order the 401 verbs.
    Hopefully it will show me the irregular verbs and increase the vocabulary.
    Thanks again.

4. nils

nils Member

I agree with dzurisova. New Czech step by step is a great method but will bring you to level B1. Your Czech is far beyond it.

But what I do not understand, why it costs 70 dollars. I bought it for approximately 800 CK (=30 Euro/50 USD).

5. hribecek

hribecek Well-Known Member

I have 'chcete jeste lepe mluvit cesky' which might more suited to your level. It's supposed to take you up from Intermediate to Advanced. Loads of vocabulary and interesting grammar stuff plus 3 cds.

6. scrimshaw

That sounds like an interesting book.
    Haven't heard of that one.
    I find '401 czech verbs' pretty useful. It's got some nice simplified tables.

7. hribecek

hribecek Well-Known Member

I've got '401 Czech verbs' too, I find it useful too. I also have a few bilingual books like 'the wizard of Oz', 'breakfast at Tiffany's' and various short stories. They're very useful for comparing the languages and are available at elementary, pre-intermediate etc. although elementary is more like upper intermediate with those books - www.e-garamond.cz