Czech private lessons Brno

Discussion in 'Language Exchange & Czech Classes' started by Adela, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Adela

Adela Active Member

2. boddhisatva

boddhisatva New Member

I've tried to learn the Czech language but it is very difficult. I'm wondering if it might be easier learning to read and write it first... Since I am born, raised and living in Southern California, my native language is English.

3. Adela

Adela Active Member

I am wondering that, too. I think it is possible to learn it first like Latin - just memorize declinations and conjugations. It is not that much fun, though, as if you try to pronounce it and speak it.

4. Petr_B

Petr_B Well-Known Member

I think it might not be the best good idea, if you ever intend to speak / listen to Czech. I believe it's better to learn proper pronunciation in the beginning, because you probably won't be able to avoid saying Czech words when learning Czech, at least to yourself. And you being a native English, I can bet you're going to pronounce them in such way, that most if not all Czechs would have very hard time to recognize the words. Getting rid of bad pronunciation is not easy. :(
    The thing is, compared to the grammar (and vocabulary), Czech pronunciation is not that hard to learn - unlike in English, it's very regular. On the other hand, it's another hurdle one has to overcome and people have only limited amount of energy and time they can spend. * shrugs *

I'm sorry for the off-topic post.

Take my opinion with a huge grain of salt, I'm not a teacher and I'm not a good student either.