Travel partner(s) out there?

Discussion in 'Make a Connection' started by earprints, Jul 21, 2007.

1. earprints

earprints New Member

Hi, I'm planning to go to the Czech Republic by myself for around a week during the first week of September. I hope to see Prague, Cesky Krumlov, Cesky Budejovice, Brno and whatever else. Anyone up for coming along, seeing the sights and having some beers? I'm a 33 year old male from the New York area.

Thanks, Ami.

2. pohodapokoj

pohodapokoj Member

One week and all those cities seem a bit much. Just my opinion, but I am not a jet set traveler. Don't forget to put Karlovy Vary on your list.

8)

3. Sigma

Sigma Well-Known Member

Skip Brno and go to Olomouc. :p

4. magan

magan Well-Known Member

Hope you are driving (and fast) to accomplish what you have listed you want to breeze through. You have to make sure windows of your car are clean to see what you can see of CR. In many places you will have to walk i.e. Cesky Krumlov old town area, same for old town Prague and other best areas there... you will want to sit and eat and have a beer sometimes, see some castles, go to National Theatre in Prague ..... :?

To enjoy Prague a bit, you will need one week just there.

You are probably comparing km in USA and what you see on map in CR. Driving is much bumpier there thus slower, even though it seems like not too far on map.

In case you are planning on traveling by bus/train, many are not as frequent as it would be convenient to leave same day. i.e. Cesky Krumlov bus arrives in CK from Prague around noon, but then turns around and goes back to Prague - not possible to go back. However, it would be shame to leave CK after one day as it offers so much beauty. There is same problem with transportation from Ceske Budejovice (you need just one afternoon) and many other towns. Public transp;ortation long distance is quite often geared towards working people so doesn't leave to bigger city at evening, but in the morning.
    Good luck, I hope you take time to have a good time and enjoy.

5. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

I have been to Prague 3 times, 10-12 days each trip - a few side trips - haven't begun to scratch the surface. There is really an awful lot to see if you really want to get to know the place. With any luck, this will only be the first of many trips for you there. Enjoy, but, like magan said, you will have to drive fast and have clean windows :)

6. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Just warning about beer and driving - Czech republic has zero tolerance to alcohol & driving - The legal blood alcohol limit is 0.

7. magan

magan Well-Known Member

Eso:
    great comment. Please elaborate............not even one small beer?
    Perhaps it could be good idea if you can put message in Food and Drink section with more detail for those who do drive in CR.
    Thanks.

8. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Exactly - not even small beer.
    Minimal penalty for DUI is 25 000 Kč (over $1000) - but could be considered as criminal offence, too.

Allways is wise acquaint oneself with traffic rules of country, where you indent to drive.

Another rules:

- Lights have to be allways on - day or night all the year round.
    - Passanger's belts have to be fastened .
    -Children under 150cm and weighing less than 36kg can now only be carried in a special child’s seat on every type of road.
    - the driver cannot hold a mobile telephone or any other calling device in his hands when driving.
    - tax sticker is required to drive legally on major highways

More here:
    http://www.autoklub.cz/acr/infoprokluby ... glicky.pdf

9. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

Yea! Another great reason to go to ČR - I am so tired of one-handed drivers yabbering away on the phone over here.

10. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

The first time I went to CR was for 5 days only. I saw Prague, Krumlov, Budejovice and a couple of other castles (some small red one comes to mind). Of course my husband grew up there and drove me to all of them. However, there is time to fit most of those things in your schedule in 7 days as we did it in 5 (we didn't go to Moravia). Yet, we also made time to visit several of my husband's friends and drink plenty of rum and tea (it was winter). We also made it to a pub a couple of nights.

If you don't need to sleep, you can accomplish a lot in 5-7 days. You have the rest of your life to sleep, enjoy your time in CR. Have fun and be careful. Perhaps you could consider hiring a guide to drive and take you to all those places. Then you can have all the spatne ceske pivo you want! :wink:

Also if you do drive, keep in mind that Czech beer is much stronger than American beer and the serving sizes are larger.

11. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Just one more note for explanation - Czech police use digital breath analysers to alcohol detection. (I heard they aren't common in USA)