Looking for friends, connections, information

Discussion in 'Make a Connection' started by marylou2007, Aug 11, 2007.

1. marylou2007

marylou2007 New Member

I'm relocating to the Czech Republic to teach English and study. I'd greatly appreciate advice on where to find a job and where to live temporarily. I can read, write, speak, and understand Czech. I have Master's degrees in ESL and Slavic Languages and Literatures. I also want to make friends of all kinds, and want to pursue a romantic relationship as well.

I've lived, studied, and taught in Prague before, and I know it pretty well..

I like to enjoy the sights and friendships with people all over the Czech Republic.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone!

Mary Lou

2. odie720706

odie720706 Member

Hi Mary :D Nice to meet you here. Im living in Prague now and also looking for friends :D I speak czech,english and chinese. Where r you from ? Your surname is pretty...umm, lets say it looks pretty chinese. :D

3. gementricxs

gementricxs Well-Known Member

Hmm, why are you asking where to live and teach? You said you've already lived and taught here.
    Anyway, try to contact some language schools here in Prague, you can do it in advance before your arrival, so when you come here you can just go for an interviews. Language schools always need teachers, you shouldnt have problems with it. Some of the schools you can contact are: Channel Crossing, Presto, Caledonian, James Cook, Tutor.
    Don't contact ELI aka Top Training, few of my friends who taught English for them had a very bad experience with them.

And for the living? Depends how close to the center you want to live and how much you want to pay. You should be able to find shared apartment close to center for okay price.

And about making friends? If you are sociable and not shy you probably wont have problems in finding friends. You probably wont find much Czech friend in bars and pubs in the center since lot of those places are aimed at tourists and expats. It has happened to me few times that I went to a bar and asked the waiter something and he did not understood me, simply because he DID NOT speak Czech. Weird. One would figure that there would be some law that would forbid employing people with no knowledge of Czech whatsoever at place where they come in contact with Czech.

By the way when are you going to be in the Czech Republic (Prague? ) ?

You said you can understand Czech, how much Czech can you understand?

Looking forward to hearing from you and maybe meeting you someday if you will stay in Prague.
    Jirka