Czechs in greater Washington DC area

Find an e-pal, make contacts across countries, get in touch with others!

Moderators: Sova, gementricxs, My Czech Republic

stepan

Czechs in greater Washington DC area

Postby stepan » 09-Feb-08 19:14

Who out there lives in Northern Virginia, Washington DC and the suburbs in Maryland? I know there is an organization called "American Friends of the Czech Republic" - http://www.afocr.org

We should be able to get together for some Pilsner beer and some good Czech food - although there is NO restaurant that I have found here that serves Czech food.

I live about 50 miles west of DC - in Warrenton, VA.
jen

Postby jen » 09-Feb-08 20:45

You might try contacting the Embassy to see if they have any events coming up...probably a good way to find other Czechs in the area :)
If momma ain't happy, ain't no one happy!
stepan

Postby stepan » 09-Feb-08 21:57

I have been to the embassy many times. They had moe events a few years ago, but recently they have scaled back. I go as often as possible so that I may keep up my Czech language skills.
jen

Postby jen » 09-Feb-08 22:39

Ah that's a shame about the embassy. I wish you luck in your search. In my experience, I always managed to run across Czechs, even in the remotest corners of the US - I even found some at Meteor Crater in Arizona!!
meluzina

Postby meluzina » 10-Feb-08 7:08

you could try sokol http://www.sokolwashington.org/

it seems the d.c. chapter has kept up with things a bit more than the s.f. chapter i grew up with...
PGN

Postby PGN » 29-Feb-08 7:58

I live in Stafford. The Sokol link above is your best bet. The next event coming up is probably the St Joe's dance.

There is a huge community in the DC area that shows up for the Sokol dance, that would be a good place to start your social network.

Edit; I just checked the Sokol site, the Joe's party is going on April 5th. They have many of these events at the VFW in McKlean, the Mikulas goes down at a Catholic church in McKlean also.

Send me a PM on your interests, my wife, mother-in-law, and brother-in-law can give some ideas from thier age groups.

BTW, these events are 100% Czech/Slovak, english is not generally spoken except to be polite to me.
Last edited by PGN on 29-Feb-08 8:36, edited 1 time in total.
PGN

Postby PGN » 29-Feb-08 8:04

stepan wrote:We should be able to get together for some Pilsner beer and some good Czech food - although there is NO restaurant that I have found here that serves Czech food.

That's served at my house everyday, I can get the recipes off of my wife and mother-in-law to cover US ingredients to use in place of the Czech ingredients.
stepan

Postby stepan » 29-Feb-08 16:03

I serve much Czech food in my home(excuse teh spelling): spanelsy ptacky, segedyn goulas, gulasova polevka, gulas, zely - red and white, knedlyky - houslove a bramborovy, strudel. I also bake a few Czech cookies at Christmas. I wnat to try vanocka sometime.

However, it would be nice to go to a restaurant and get served the meal.
PGN

Postby PGN » 29-Feb-08 16:23

BTW, if you have children, SOKOL does gymnastics every Friday night at an elementary school in Rockville just past the beltway. English is not spoken during these weekly events.
jen

Postby jen » 29-Feb-08 19:10

That's so cool. I wish I'd known about that when we were still living there. Well, not that it matters - my son was only 3 at the time :) And driving from Annandale to Rockville on a Friday evening doesn't sound particularly fun either :)))