Czechs in greater Washington DC area

Discussion in 'Make a Connection' started by stepan, Feb 9, 2008.

1. stepan

stepan Well-Known Member

Who out there lives in Northern Virginia, Washington DC and the suburbs in Maryland? I know there is an organization called "American Friends of the Czech Republic" - http://www.afocr.org

We should be able to get together for some Pilsner beer and some good Czech food - although there is NO restaurant that I have found here that serves Czech food.

I live about 50 miles west of DC - in Warrenton, VA.

2. jen

jen Well-Known Member

You might try contacting the Embassy to see if they have any events coming up...probably a good way to find other Czechs in the area :)

3. stepan

stepan Well-Known Member

I have been to the embassy many times. They had moe events a few years ago, but recently they have scaled back. I go as often as possible so that I may keep up my Czech language skills.

4. jen

jen Well-Known Member

Ah that's a shame about the embassy. I wish you luck in your search. In my experience, I always managed to run across Czechs, even in the remotest corners of the US - I even found some at Meteor Crater in Arizona!!

5. meluzina

meluzina Well-Known Member

you could try sokol http://www.sokolwashington.org/

it seems the d.c. chapter has kept up with things a bit more than the s.f. chapter i grew up with...

6. PGN

PGN Well-Known Member

I live in Stafford. The Sokol link above is your best bet. The next event coming up is probably the St Joe's dance.

There is a huge community in the DC area that shows up for the Sokol dance, that would be a good place to start your social network.

Edit; I just checked the Sokol site, the Joe's party is going on April 5th. They have many of these events at the VFW in McKlean, the Mikulas goes down at a Catholic church in McKlean also.

Send me a PM on your interests, my wife, mother-in-law, and brother-in-law can give some ideas from thier age groups.

BTW, these events are 100% Czech/Slovak, english is not generally spoken except to be polite to me.

7. PGN

PGN Well-Known Member

That's served at my house everyday, I can get the recipes off of my wife and mother-in-law to cover US ingredients to use in place of the Czech ingredients.

8. stepan

stepan Well-Known Member

I serve much Czech food in my home(excuse teh spelling): spanelsy ptacky, segedyn goulas, gulasova polevka, gulas, zely - red and white, knedlyky - houslove a bramborovy, strudel. I also bake a few Czech cookies at Christmas. I wnat to try vanocka sometime.

However, it would be nice to go to a restaurant and get served the meal.

9. PGN

PGN Well-Known Member

BTW, if you have children, SOKOL does gymnastics every Friday night at an elementary school in Rockville just past the beltway. English is not spoken during these weekly events.

10. jen

jen Well-Known Member

That's so cool. I wish I'd known about that when we were still living there. Well, not that it matters - my son was only 3 at the time :) And driving from Annandale to Rockville on a Friday evening doesn't sound particularly fun either :)))

11. PGN

PGN Well-Known Member

Actually the drive gave my daughter and I focused quality time, I loved every minute of it. When see started to hit the preteen years she started to lose interest in the gymnastics :(

She also lost interest in the summer camps which were no kidding Czech Camping trips. About 6 k from the nearest road, I used to help with the logistics of set up, and tear down. They also had minor allowances of English when I was teaching orienteering or technical rock climbing. Naturally, as soon as I completed my instruction.....I had to leave.

I plan on getting our two youngest involved next year.

12. PGN

PGN Well-Known Member

Just received an e-mail, little late for tonights meeting:

Please feel free to review the attached American Sokol Washington, DC Flyer March 2008 issue to find out more information about American Sokol Washington upcoming events and activities.

Next American Sokol Washington, DC meeting:

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 5, 2008, 8:00 P.M.
    at St. Luke’s Orthodox Church, 6801 Old Georgetown Pike, McLean, VA.

After a short business meeting, join us for conversation during a traditional
    social hour with soft drinks, coffee and snacks.

Looking forward to seeing you there.

Nazdar!

ASW

e-mail: sokol@sokolwashington.org
    www.sokolwashington.org

Here's the flyer:

I certainly hope that all members of Sokol Washington, DC and their friends enjoyed a very successful “Šibrinky-Fašiangy” dinner dance. Congratulations to all of the winners and participants of the 30th Annual Baca Cup Ski Race. Hopefully, next year we can renew the traditional North-South (New York - Washington) ice-hockey game, which was also always part of this event.

I look forward to seeing many of you at our Sokol Volleyball Tournament on April 5th with team members coming from several other cities. The events of the day will conclude with our annual Josefska Party. I also hope that I can see as many of you as possible at our next regular members meeting on March 5th, where we need to plan our preparations for upcoming events.

Nazdar! / Br. Tony Bartos, Vice President, American Sokol Washington, DC

E-mail Address – Our E-mail address is sokol@sokolwashington.org Please let us know your E-mail address. If you don’t have E-mail or can’t access our web site then send us a written request and we will keep sending you a paper copy of our flyer.

Volleyball: Mondays, March 3, 10, 17, 24, 31 8:00 to 10:00 p.m.

Gymnastics for Children: Fridays, March 7, 14, 21, and 28 8:00 to 10:00 p.m.

Adult Aerobics: Fridays, March 7, 14, 21, and 28 8:15 to 9:30 p.m.

My comment: Don't let the English-ness of the information scare you, all of these events are in Czech/Slovak