Abychom nezapomněli!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by scrimshaw, Sep 11, 2011.

1. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

Zaútočili teroristi na New York City a zničili dvojité věže před deseti lety.
    Zbudili spícího obra. Těšíme na den, kdy si svět všímne, že múžeme žít v klidu. Dokud to nestane, čekáme a stojíme silně.

2. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Just few remarks :):

we say "dvojčata" (twins) only, we do not add "věže" for WTC. When we want to use the word "věže", we say "věže světového obchodního centra".

Vzbudili (zbudili is in rare use but is not correct).

Všimne short "i"

Můžeme rather than múžeme (ú is only used as first letter of the world)

Stát = to stay

Stát se = to happend

Stay strong = Stát pevně

Strong is both pevný and silný, pevný for strong structure or opinion (hence stronghold = pevnost), silný for actual power in muscles (strong arms, strong hit).

3. scrimshaw

Aha, those corrections make perfect sense. Thanks.
    Ta dvojčata, veže světového obchodního centra nebo dva věže v nižším Manhattanu.

Dokud se to nestane, někdo musí stát peně.

4. scrimshaw

5. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

nižší x vyšší (lower x higher)
    dolní x horní (lower x upper)

I am not sure if this is a rule or not, but mostly we use "na" when it comes to islands. Na Borneu, Na Manhattanu, Na Long Islandu...

6. scrimshaw

Diky, to také má smysl. Dvě věže byli postaveni na dolni Manhattanu, byli známeni jako dvojčata, protože byli teměř shodni. Dokončeni v devatenáct set šedesat a devatenáct set šedesat jeden, byli zničeni teměř čtyřicet let později teroristům. Dnes umřil v Yemenu nenáviděný terorist. Já nepláču.
    Je to v americe dobrý den.

By the way Alexxi, I remember about the word "Pongo". Pochází z vědeckeho jména.
    "the Bornean Orangutan (Pongo pygmaeus) and the critically endangered Sumatran Orangutan (Pongo abelii)."

Ten miles up the road from here is this place....http://suncoastprimate.homestead.com/index.html

Tam je velký starý orangutan, který má jméno Pongo.

7. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

První Evropan, který viděl gorilu byl Andrew Battell. Nazýval ji "pongo". Z jeho popisu:

"He differeth not from a man but in his legs; for they have no calfe. He goeth alwaies upon his legs, and carrieth his hands clasped in the nape of his necke when he goeth upon the ground. They sleepe in the trees, and build shelters for the raine. They feed upon fruit that they find in the woods, and upon nuts, for they eate no kind of flesh. They cannot speake, and have no understanding more than a beast. ..."

V pražské ZOO žil gorilí samec jménem Pong. Utopil se v rozvodněné Vltavě v roce 2002.

8. scrimshaw

Bibax...that's a nice entry, written in old english, of the first european encounter with the ape. Isn't that funny that he felt it necessary to mention that they do not speak? I guess in those early days of discovery you just never knew what might be uncovered.
    Sad about the gorilla in the Prague Zoo drowning when the Vltava overflowed it's banks in 2002. That must have been a devastating flood.

Here is a fun poem for you.
    The Jabberwock je hrozné zvíře, které vypadá jako mutantního draka.
    Básen rýmuje, ale musíš použít svou představivost, aby sis vytvořil v mysli význam vymyšlených slov.

JABBERWOCKY

Lewis Carroll

(from Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There, 1872)
    `Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
    The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
    Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
    The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
    Long time the manxome foe he sought --
    So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
    And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
    The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
    Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
    And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
    The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!