Bush and U.S. Foreign Policy

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by usak, Apr 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. usak

usak Well-Known Member

Lets not get into politic :)
    I heard recently that most Czechs support Bush?

2. szarkafarka

szarkafarka Well-Known Member

The Czechs do not elect the U.S. president, so the question is not relevant. :wink:

3. KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

To say nothing of the fact that I have never met a Czech that supported him!

Even the EU voiced hopes that he would not make it into a second term...

4. usak

usak Well-Known Member

i saw on the news that in a survey more Czechs voted for Bush than not

5. evian

evian Well-Known Member

He is very unpopular on a global basis (I included), even by his own people!!
    KJP is right about his ability only as a golf player. lol :lol:

6. usak

usak Well-Known Member

Well we all have our opinions. :lol: I for one support Bush and I am American.

7. KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

I just heard the first wise words from Bush that I have ever heard from him:

We thank God for sending this great man to us, and for all that he has done...(Pope John Paul II)

8. KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

usak, what do u mean by this?
    i saw on the news that in a survey more Czechs voted for Bush than not

9. usak

usak Well-Known Member

I saw that when surveyed more Czechs said they supported Bush and would re elect him rather than John Kerry

10. iluvuma1

iluvuma1 Well-Known Member

I'm tired of hearing Americans "apologize" for Bushs' behavior. If you stand around and do nothing and let mideastern zealots crash planes into your buildings- you have the potential of ending up like Europe in WWI & II. Actually you have the potential for worse- mideastern zealots getting thier hands on nuclear bombs with no conscience whatsoever for loss of NON muslim human life.... (That includes most of Europe).
    Clinton had Osama Bin Laden and let him go. He left a big, nasty mess for Bush to clean up.
    Bush is no saint, nor is he particularly well spoken or intelligent- but he's sending a clear message to terrorists.
    Yes this is a costly war with human casualty and Americans are getting hit hard on their economy- but it is rather annoying that we came to Europe's aid- and Europe somewhat shuns us when in reality they will benefit by stability in the mideast region.

11. usak

usak Well-Known Member

I dint apologize for Bush, I support him. 8) I think more of the world would support him if Americans who were biased gave him a chance instead of attacking him. Michael Moore really bothers me. I rented farenheit 9/11 to try and understand his side of the argument, but after an hour of nonsense I was disgusted to see actual footage of human beheadings in the middle east. I turned off that movie immediately. Moore gave no significant arguments to help his position and resorted to showing executions to somehow win his support. Moore is exactly what he attacks, a stupid fat, white male, American.

Kerry I have no qualms with. I disagree with him on most issues, but I respect him because of how he handled losing the election. He was a man about it, which is more than i Can say for some... cough cough Gore cough

12. czechpoint

czechpoint Active Member

Moore is only using the same tactic that many governments use during times of war to harness support for the unnecessary and often illegal wars they start. But which one is the lesser of the two evils? The one that leads young men and women to join the army on false premises or the one that gets people to speak out against war???

13. czechpoint

czechpoint Active Member

These "zealots" would most likely not commit such acts if the US didn't feel so compelled to get involved in areas it has no business being involved in.

14. Silatsiaq

Silatsiaq Member

There is a double standart here, isn'it?

When some "mid eastern zealots" are engaging in a certain kind of actions, it is labelled "terrorism".

But when US government is doing practically the same thing, it becomes suddenly "war against terrorism"...

15. KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

Moore really blew it during the movie by making us watch him inhale a Big Mac menu...:}

You do know that Bush has the lowest approval rating of ANY us president ever?

Ye, the Micheal Moore thing is in keeping with the Micheal Jackson thing, a lot of money grabbers exists and will say and do anything for it...

16. Bret

Bret Active Member

Should we have minded our own business when Hitler was marching through France? Surely not. I know very little about what life was like under Nazi rule in what is now the Czech Republic, but I toured Lezaky this summer when I was in the Czech. It was burnt down because the citizens helped the allies (US, Britian). Doesn't sound like a really good situation. So, I'm sorry, but it is our business. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. said that "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." The US stands for liberty and justice. It will always be the target of hatred, jealousy, and terrorism because of it. I say, so be it.

17. czechpoint

czechpoint Active Member

Might I remind you that the U.S. didn't enter World War II until the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbour, 2 years after the war started? The U.S. did not intervene when the Nazis took over Austria, Czechoslovakia and Poland. U.S. foreign policy seems to be selective, in that the U.S. only gets involved (more times than not) when the situation affects it directly. If the world benefits from the U.S.'s actions, it is an indirect consequence.

18. Silatsiaq

Silatsiaq Member

Bret, you said:
    The US stands for liberty and justice. It will always be the target of hatred, jealousy, and terrorism because of it.

Do you REALLY believe in the US that the invasion of Irak was an altruistic action in order to protect these ideals of "democracy" and "justice"?

Nooo, it was not linked with any economic issues...

:roll:

19. hint

hint Member

the stupid war only destabilized the whole mideastern region and created new playgrounds for terrorists. It turned few oases of peace (like lebanon) in danger again. The war was based on lies and Bush should be brought before an international court for his war crimes.

20. Bret

Bret Active Member

Look, you can believe what you want about the war in Iraq and the USA. Saddam was an evil tyrant who terrorized his own people while harboring world terrorists. He was removed from power and the world will be better for it.

I don't know if economic reasons had anything to do with the war but I know that we (US citizens) haven't benefited from it. Everybody says we did it for the oil, but gas prices have been at an all-time high for the past 2 years. Doesn't add up. The US is not perfect. Politicians do things for the wrong reasons, but I don't think this war was done for the wrong reasosn. I believe it was done for democracy's sake and for the sake of human dignity.

As for why the US got involved to stop Hitler, I'm no student of WWII, so I can't really say. I know that he, like Saddam, was evil and had to be stopped. The US waited way too long before getting involved. Far too many Jews were killed. I wish the US had acted sooner, but at least the US acted.

I know that there is a strong anti-American sentiment in Europe. I don't understand it, but I know that it exists. Regardless of what action or inaction the US takes, many Europeans will be critical and look for ulterior motives. However, I'm a rational man and I enjoy discussing the issues, so no hard feeling personally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.