Bible and Religion

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Halef, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

A note from the site admin: The discussion below was split from the Europeans-women and makeup topic.

Do you shave yourself, KJP? Leviticus says you should not (among other interesting things) :)

2. KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

I do not shave, but please tell me where that is stated, (not interpreted)

3. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

Leviticus 19:27 seems to be it.

4. KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

hum thats streching it a bit :

Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard

IF YOU HAVE ONE!

is there another part I am missing or is this just an atheists view of something they dont believe in to begin with?!

5. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

Ah, forget it. I would gladly discuss the Bible with you, but not here. Perhaps you know a suitable board to do so? I only visit Czech speaking ones apart from MCR.

If I were to illustrate the inappropriacy of Leviticus for today's world, I would choose another part. There are many, more interesting than "you shall not mar your beard".

By the way, can you, in exchange, tell me where to find the "thou shalt not use make-up" part? I am too lazy to look for it :)

And my signature seems to be more provocative than I thought :) Do you realize it is a paradox?

6. KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

In fact, it is mentioned three times in the Bible.

Though thou clothest thyself with crimson, though thou deckest thee with ornaments of gold, though thou rentest thy face with painting, in vain shalt thou make thyself fair; thy lovers will despise thee, they will seek thy life. For I have heard a voice as of a woman in travail,

And furthermore, that ye have sent for men to come from far, unto whom a messenger was sent; and, lo, they came: for whom thou didst wash thyself, paintedst thy eyes, and deckedst thyself with ornaments

And when Jehu was come to Jezreel, Jezebel heard of it; and she painted her face

Mary didn't stain Christ's feet with mascara when she washed them with her tears

of course I realize it is a paradox, just a tad strange and definately blasphemy. Its like putting the words Darwin inside the fish on the back of your auto (sold in the USA)

Sorry, while I am theist, I am a sinner and dont know of any forums to discuss the bible...

but Dana, I do believe that the answer to all lies within this book...

7. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

What you say is not going to have much effect on atheists as blasphemy is not something they fear, for obvious reasons.

KJP, you brought up the topic of makeup, so a link to a makeup book doesn't seem that out of place to me here. Definitely not more so than referring to the Bible and the fact that Mary didn't wear mascara (how do you know that, by the way?).

You are all very welcome to discuss the Bible in the Off Topic forum. That's why we have it.

Dana

8. KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

even Dana dislikes me.... :cry:

True atheists care about nothing, but themselves (can of worms now open and escaping)!

Dana, u have given your location away! What you quoted me as saying was edited and not posted...you know why? I saw that you wrote it :wink:

So, as admin give me a chance :D

Ye, we could discuss the Bible in off topic, but I think a 4000000000 page thread would annoy (more than I do) :lol:

9. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

May I ask for the chapter/verse numbers? By pm, if you wish. The "thou shalt thyself" kind of English is uneasy to read (but now realize where the church sequence in Monty Python's Meaning of life came from), and I would like to see some context.

I must admit I have not understood the last sentence. There are fish on backs of cars in US? Honestly, I do not understand.
    As Dana said, blasphemy is not what I am afraid of. I have done much worse things, from the Old Testament's point of view, than writing this signature.

If you would like to discuss Bible or religion more, let us move to the Off topic as suggested.

10. KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

so , let me get this right, you think I sat there and typed in strange English to confuse you?!!!!!!!!!!!

(2 Ki. 9:30-37)
    (Jer. 4:29-31)
    (Eze. 23:36-49)

Fish on the car: not common to know if ur not in the states, apologies:

people attach a metal fish to their autos, the symbol of God, to show their faith. Some big bang rocket scientist decided Darwin knew better than God, inserted his name in the center of the fish (on the cars), and sold them to everyone who uses the word Dude as if life would cease if it wasn't the second word out of their mouth :}

your not afraid of blasphemy, then what r u?:}

It means you do believe, and you fear! :lol:

11. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

No. How did you come to this? You see me doing things that I have never even thought of.
    I just want to read it in a language I understand better than "strange English", and I also want to read what is around. That is all. Thanks for the numbers.

OK, thanks.
    Fish is a symbol of God? Never heard of this, interesting.

What means that I believe and fear? I have trouble following you again... Never mind.

12. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Interesting observation. So not believing in God and caring about others is mutually exclusive? Since when? Since religion came into being? Your statement seems kind of intolerant, as if you didn't like atheists. I thought that true theists were tolerant people who love all mankind. :eek:

"Atheism = Denial of the existence of God. An atheist accepts only the material and physical world or what can be proven by reason." Hmm, nothing that says "thou shalt only care about thyself".

Halef, here's a link to show you what KJP is talking about: www.darwinfish.com. You can see both kinds of plaques (the Christian fish and the Darwin fish) on cars in the U.S. all the time.

I'm moving this discussion from Europeans-women and makeup to Off Topic.

Dana

13. KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

theists may be tolerant people also, but I am referring to all believeing, all powerful, all knowing...I said I was a sinner right?:}

good touch on the Darwin Fish link...

14. Bret

Bret Active Member

The correct name for the fish symbol is Icthus. Here is a link to a webpage that explains the origins of the symbol for Christians. I don't know anything about the church who hosts this website, but thought the explanation was pretty cool.

http://www.icthus4men.org.uk/html/icthus_and_jesus.html

15. metric

metric Well-Known Member

What better way to show one's faith than with a metal object attached to one's auto? Piety and good works are so banal.

I don't do religion, but I do do automobiles. My favourite affixed fish is the one with "Gefilte" written inside the outline.

Good thing this is an off-topic forum.

And to bridge the chasm 'twixt this thread and another of even forum.... I'm a bit nervous that whilst motoring about Europe in my spiffy Tatra with US number plate and USA oval I'll get obscenities and/or objects (possibly even a dead carp) hurled at me. Wondering if a discrete "Tenhle Není Můj Prezident" might ease my passage.

16. KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

hum, have you considered not going since you are so ashamed to be in America? Possibly this is my president, but I dont agree with him would be a nice bumper sticker for your british whilst ?

17. metric

metric Well-Known Member

Interesting counterpoint to the "if you don't like it here, why don't you leave?" which I've heard all my life.

It's not so much ashamed that I am, I don't consider any of it to be my doing since I've not really participated; but embarrassment at being associated with the policies of the powers of my country of residence by the fact of my living here.

I really don't know very much about US politics. I don't consider myself to be 'of the US'; simply 'in the US' as I live here most of the time.

If I could find gainful employment in Czech Republic I'd be there (yes, I know, empty threats).

18. KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

It beckons the question: are you American?

I don't like our rep. now either, but I still support my country, for better or worse. Just that next time I will be sure to make my lazy friends vote too. They were too busy at a WTO protest :}

Finding GAINFUL employment here is a fallacy, you must kiss ass to make a stinking 50,000 kc a month

19. metric

metric Well-Known Member

Since this is in part a linguistic board, and since you, KJP, have been adamant in the past that we use language correctly (or at least defensibly), I must interject:

I think the word you were reaching for was 'beckons'. But I think the phrase you want is 'begs the question'. But this isn't really what you meant.

I believe you meant that my comment 'evoked' a question on your part. To 'beg the question' is what one does in an argument when one assumes what one claims to be proving. An example of 'begging the question':
    "The belief in God is universal. After all, everyone believes in God."

Apologies in advance if my assumptions are incorrec; I'm a simple and unschooled obchodník.

I was born in the USA; I've lived in the USA all my life (55 years). I've raised a child in the US, have operated a business in the US for many years. I pay taxes when I must.

Since my childhood I've been fascinated by Moravia and Bohemia. I always wanted to live there, but events conspired against it (as they do today).

I won't root for the home team simply because it's the home team. I don't consider myself part of the team.

Voting is for those who believe in a system, or at least believe that the system is valid. I have no such beliefs. Not that I hold alternative beliefs: I don't think I must have 'the answer' in order to know what is not 'the answer'.

Many in the US would say the same.

20. KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

sorry about the typo, but you took that a tad too far...your assumptions were a little incorrec but shit happens

Fasinated with Moravia and Bohemia, but no genetic link? Strange...
    I find Julie Roberts fasinating, doesnt mean I am packing my bags though

Dont vote for the hometeam? There are benches on both sides of the playing field...you have had 55 years to get across the field, dont blame us for your inability to motivate...or are they holding you captive in Neverland....Dorthy, some twister might come along and rock your world, trade center

Do your neighbors know your opinion? Your Boss? Or are you a closet wanna be arab in America? Lucky for you you don't live in Virginia, big brother is always watching there!

Metric, be brave and tell me where in Maine? From New Vineyard to Bangor to Portland to York, I got you covered homey...:}

Many in the US would say the same.50,000 kč is about 2,000 USD per month!
    Really, I know a 16 year old in NYC that makes that working in McDonalds, after school and weekends. Guess it depends on your demographics and field eh?