Just a quick hello to all of you

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by GlennInFlorida, Apr 13, 2008.

1. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

Am in Tokyo, Japan for a short vacation but still following all of you in the forum. It is a wonderful city here but, I can't wait to get back to Praha. My heart is still there.
    g

2. magan

magan Well-Known Member

Hi Glen,
    We will start in Tokyo from Oct. 11 for 39 days touring Japan on our own by Shinkanzen. If you have any advice, let me know by private message. :D

3. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

I just hope you're not flying on America--or maybe they're back to their normal schedule now?

4. GlennInFlorida

Hi Magan and Sova,

Magan, I will send you some observations (superficial as they may be - I'm only here 5 days) and Sova, no, I'm not flying American but it wouldn't be a real problem anyway. The aircraft undergoing safety inspections are MD-80's - they don't fly international. I am flying Continental (a friend of mine works for them so our tickets were free - one of the reasons a poor boy like me can make the trip) :wink:

Anway, leave tomorrow afternoon to head home - 13 1/2 hours to Newark and another 3 back to Tampa - just in time to start planning my fall trip to Praha (that flight probably won't be free but, I would hock my grandmother to get back there :shock: )

5. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

:lol:

I hope you enjoyed your trip almost as much as you enjoy Prague.

6. GlennInFlorida

Thanks, Katka

It's like the common saying "Close, but no cigar". Tokyo is an amazing place, but Prague is magical.

7. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Yes, I know, but there are always connecting domestic flights. Have a fun trip!

8. Irena M

Irena M Well-Known Member

Have fun! My daughter is teaching english in Japan right now.

9. The Animal

The Animal Well-Known Member

I hope that you have a nice vacation Glenn.

Zatím nashledanou Jody

10. GlennInFlorida

I am back in Tampa now. I had a terrific time - saw some wonderful things and met some great people. The flight was super (I flew with a friend who works for Continental Airlines and we were able to get Business First on all legs for free - that is one of the reasons I made the trip - who can argue with a price like that?) and the hotel was a true five star experience (got a special deal on that, too). They don't have trams there and the buses you see are mostly tourist buses but their metro and train facilities are amazing (think Prague system multiplied by 10 or 15 times the size).
    Got to throw snowballs on Mt. Fuji, take a catamaran ride on a crater lake, visit Shinto and Buddhist temples, see the gardens at the Imperial Palace, and sample some of the local nightlife.
    Although there are many other things I would like to see and do in Japan, when the trip was nearing its end, I was ready to go home. Prague is still the only place that I am sad to leave. Hope to see many of you there when I visit in the fall.

11. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Post some pictures :)

12. GlennInFlorida

ok

[​IMG]
    Mt. Fuji

[​IMG]
    Catamaran on crater lake

[​IMG]
    Imperial Palace East Garden

[​IMG]
    Temple in complex near hotel

[​IMG]
    Tokyo Tower view from the hotel

13. SMZ

SMZ Well-Known Member

Although I've never had a yen to go to Japan (har har), your pictures may make me think twice. Beautiful!

14. The Animal

The Animal Well-Known Member

Nice pictures!
    Glenn, what language was the most common that you heard? How did you communicate to others? Any english sighn's posted anywhere?

Děkuji, Zatím nashledanou, Jody

15. Irena M

Irena M Well-Known Member

Sounds amazing! Glad you had a good time!

16. GlennInFlorida

Japanese was by far the most common language but, of course there were visitors speaking English (of all varieties), Spanish, French, Greek, and some others I could not make out. Alot of locals spoke a very little English and I had a phrase book to help me out - had no problems. There are English translations for most things in the subways and train stations.

[​IMG]

17. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

As far as I know Tokyo metro lines are "lettered" (A, B, C... as in Prague), and stations of each line are numbered (as we can see at Glenn's picture above), besides it's "君が代" names, so it should be easy to use for foreign tourists. But it seems to be pretty extensive, as Glenn said, comparable maybe to London, maybe even more extensive.

18. gementricxs

gementricxs Well-Known Member

Your trip sounds amazing. I envy you. I'd love to go there one day.

19. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

That sounds like a great trip. You know how to travel on a shoestring.
    Nice pictures.
    Who knew the Japanese had their own Eiffel tower.
    That was Mt. Fuji? Just out of curiosity. Is that snow capped all year round?