Maybe I'm Amazed At The Way You Fooled Me

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by dravid, Jun 17, 2008.

1. dravid

dravid New Member

2. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Czech banks now use SMS message for confirming action on online banking.

I login to my online banking and place order to money operation. Bank system send me SMS to cellphone with special code, which I have to write down to online banking application. Only then action is executed.
    Code is unique for every session.

3. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Or for each operation. Depends on bank one use.

4. The Animal

The Animal Well-Known Member

I cannot stand a theif :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: You work your tail off to earn something, then some idiot just decides that they want what you have. On the other hand how would they the theif feel if someone stole from them :?: :?: sorry suckers, good for nothing. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: That is the best and worst that I can say. They do need to repent and ask for forgiveness. There jsem done now, off můj soap box já go :!:

5. Irena M

Irena M Well-Known Member

My online bank has you answer a question that only you would know.
    I've had $400 stolen from another account earlier this year. I have 2 accounts at 2 different banks now.

6. eso

eso Well-Known Member

I consider these "question that only you would know" as very unreliable. In most cases they are like "What is your pet name" or "Who was your math teacher on elmentary school", which are hardly questions that only you know.

No, sir, I prefer 3kB long cipher key as addendum to looong password :)

7. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

What is 23rd, 71st and 198th character of your password, sir?

8. eso

eso Well-Known Member

That would be telling!

My password is actually only 13 characters long, but contains capital and small letters, numbers and punctuation marks :)

9. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

I am using only 9 characters pass, but only for servers with some level of importance. xx9999999 where xx are two letters with special meaning for the server (like mc for myczechrepublic or so) and 9999999 is seven numbers with no other meaning. So I can use this password for every server (most servers demand combination of letters and numbers, longer then 8 characters).

So I do not need to remember special password for each server, but I guess my password is safe enough.

10. eso

eso Well-Known Member

You can check its "quality" for example here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect/yourse ... ecker.mspx

If password contains for example only numbers then it's much more vulnerable to "brute force" attack, because there is only 10 choices for given position.

If password contains common word of given language, then its vulnerable to "dictionary attack", when program tests all words from dictionary of given language.

Another weak passwords are: dates important for you (like birthday), names of your pets, friends, relatives etc :)

Of course, some servers have protection against brute force/dictionary attacks, like if you enter your password wrong three times, you are denied to login for some time etc...

11. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

OK, my password is medium, but I am not paranoid :)

12. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

The best password is something you know, combined with something you have, e.g. a RSA SecureID.

13. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Exactly - like password, key and cellphone.

14. The Animal

The Animal Well-Known Member

I like what Alex said, that was funny. I might have to change můj passwords. :shock: Hmn, uh let me think about it. Uh hmn, uh ya, naaaa it will be ok. :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

15. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Yep!