USA is truly blessed

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by dzurisova, Aug 5, 2008.

1. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Michelangelo's David is returning to Italy after two years
    [​IMG]
    After a two year visit to the United States, Michelangelo's David is returning to Italy . . ..
    >

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    [​IMG]
    His Proud Sponsors were:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. The Animal

The Animal Well-Known Member

:lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

3. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

Very amusing! As someone who's also put a bit of weight on this year - mainly all the beer at hockey matches :( - and is now going to the gym three times a week to try to get rid of it, at least it made me feel better!

4. Irena M

Irena M Well-Known Member

Good one! :lol:

5. AxeZ

AxeZ Active Member

Here is another one..:)

[​IMG]

6. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

Uffff, that's cruel. :lol:

7. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

8. tnvol66

tnvol66 Member

I did note on my trip to Prague that compared to walking around in the states I saw very few overweight people and none that I would call obese. As bad as it is now, I really dread thinking of how much of how much worse it may be in as little as 10 years. Of course, why build a park when we have to have yet another god-awful strip mall.

9. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

I quite agree with you although officially, if you go outside Prague, the Czech are amongt the most obese in Europe. I find it hard to believe as well...

10. MK

MK Well-Known Member

These European statistics just say how many people are above proper weight. Do not say how much above proper weight. Lot of people in CZ is only slightly but still overweight hence the statistic is for Czechs so much ugly. On the other side Americans "do it" heartily and are not satisfied with so poor results like Czechs do. If overweight then heavily overweight. :)

It make that "look on people on street" difference. Many Czechs who are overweight just do not look overweight.

Anyway I think that Czechs are more weighty every year. It goes slowly but the trend is here. On the other side weight problem in US is improving.

Really interested to know whether others see these trends like I do.

11. AxeZ

AxeZ Active Member

Heh, lot of beer tend to do that to you..:)

12. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Yes, that was the only point I was trying to make. I don't think that Czechs or other Europeans can compare with Americans in terms of obesity yet, but the gap seems to be narrowing.

13. AxeZ

AxeZ Active Member

14. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

interesting list...

my understanding is that "overweight" is a broad term that includes everything from minimal extra weight to obese to morbidly obese. I would like to see how those numbers break down - bet the US ranks much higher when results take the extent of overweight into account.

BTW - I'm not helping our statistics much, although I have lost a bit in the past month or so :wink:

15. pedro1974

pedro1974 Well-Known Member

maybe cause of the global economy?
    we all live near a mcdon... restaurant (damn smell!) or a similar stuff, we all drink some ipercaloric coloured drink instead of natural water.

usa exported the "democracy" (with bombs) and their brands, cocx colx, mcdonxxx...

to be honest I find the czech people even more fit than italians.
    I lived in brno and trebic, not in prague and especially the youngsters seem to be more athletic.
    using bike, walking, cottage life...

in italy we know the "mediterranean diet" is the healthiest, but I dont agree with it.
    oil, pasta, bread, wine...how could be dietetic?

what about the vegetables and the meat?
    do you really believe are "naturals"?

ogm rules the green market and drugs are used for animals.

obesity is a natural result of these system, everywhere

16. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

I'm sure some of this trend is due to American exports of junk food, but I'm not convinced that this is the only or perhaps even the major reason. I'm not sure if it is even possible to quantify the effect of US-style junk food in a remotely scientific fashion. The global economy has brought higher relative prosperity to many parts of the developed world, and this plays a role as well, among other factors.

By the way, we were discussing obesity in the US and Europe. I'm not aware of any European countries that were democratized by US bombs, excepting Germany, which was equally (more or less) socialized by Soviet bombs. And furthermore, to my knowledge, no American soldiers are currently stationed in Europe with the specific charge of holding guns to the heads of Europeans with the intent of forcing them to eat Big Macs.

Look, I know it's fashionable to bash the US these days, but please if your going to bash us, keep it in proper context.

17. AxeZ

AxeZ Active Member

Ummm, how about bombing of serbia&montenegro in 1999. plus troops stationed in Bosnia and Kosovo?

18. pedro1974

pedro1974 Well-Known Member

ssshhhh!
    its a secret and nobody have to know that...
    (sorry for the OT, but: in italy there are 107 us army base...for what??????
    http://www.laltralombardia.it/public/do ... ora95.html )

coming back to the topic, I really think the usa exported their style, fast food and junk food is not in the natural dna of europeans.

19. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Slimness is fabrication of the twentieth century ;)

Before that - belly fat was sign of wealth and respectability :)

20. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

From a purely anecdotal point of view (my own observations while travelling to Europe and then returning to the US): I can say that I have seen very few fat people - and no obese people - in Europe, but as soon as I return to the US, I see too many super-sized bodies.
    I wish it were not so.