Research on Eastern European Countries

Discussion in 'Central & Eastern Europe' started by ik, Oct 5, 2005.

1. ik

ik Active Member

hello ppl

i am doing a personal research on which of the eastern countries is the best place : 1. for ppl who are Visitor 2. for people who want to work 3. for investors.

I also want to know between these countries which has:
    1. the highest standard of living
    2. higest paid wages
    3. best social infrastures
    4. low rate of unemployment
    5. tolerance of other race e.g Americans and immigrant africans

2. evian

evian Well-Known Member

Hi,
    OK, my interpretation of your statement "eastern countries", I am assuming you are referring to the Eastern European countries that do not include Germany or Austria, but extend eastwards from here? Solely the countries included in this map?:

[​IMG]

The UN development report (circa 2004), which includes an index for all nations, based on the criterion that you have stated (1,2,3,4) ranks Slovenia as the highest for all East European nations (closely followed by CR).

For visitors? Well that is really subject to one's opinion. :wink: Most popular East-European destinations would be CR, Croatia, Poland and Hungary (I believe).
    For work? This depends on the relevant industry. The Baltics (particularly Estonia) are proving a fantastic place for expatriate work opportunities.
    For Investors? Not Hungary at the moment! :lol: Otherwise, I don't know.

There seems to be much debate regarding the tolerance and respect for foreigners. Generally tolerance prevails, although it is quite common you may encounter some hostility wherever you go. Croatians seemed the most 'friendly', however this is just my opinion.
    Jason.

3. Zeisig

Zeisig Well-Known Member

Generally the Czech society is not too tolerant of immigrants, especially
    the Nigerians have a bad reputation in our country, don't expect a cardial wellcome.

4. evian

evian Well-Known Member

Really? Why is this?

5. Ladis

Ladis Well-Known Member

Because of "Nigerian letters"? :) (letter about "we have lot of money and need to hide them in your bank account with big interest for you, send XX XXX USD we to can do this transaction").

6. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

... and looking for someone "honest," blah blah blah. Yeah, I used to get at least one of these a week. But, I doubt that it's the Nigerian immigrants to the Czech Republic doing this. I would think those con men would rather stay in Nigeria, where such fraud is harder to prosecute.

7. Zeisig

Zeisig Well-Known Member

Nigerians (besides Albanians) are known mainly for drug trafficing and, of course, for the 419 scam.

8. ik

ik Active Member

hi sova,
    i must tell you that i am personally shock beyond words how the outside world see an average nigeria due to how porous and corrupt our leaders are, but it hurt me everytime i see people talk about Nigerians as though it is the devil with the red horns that lived there with it mighty army of demons :twisted: but on the contrary i think Nigerians are the warmest people on the face of the earth regardless what everybody is talking about. their hospitality alone beats everybody to it. it is a case of few bad in power and a whole lots of good people with no opportunity to express themselves. the few bad are destroying the image of the country because they care for nobody except their pocket. please sova change ur view about Nigeria their are lots of honest and sinccere people in Nigeria.

Besides, why most Nigerians especially the youth indulge in such vices is due to negligence by the Govt. Most people don't see any hope for me in the future of the country. There ia also the issue of a degeneration of culture perspective. You are highly respected when you don't reside in the country and you have a proof of good life e.g big cars, nice dresses, otherwise nobody may respect in you even in your own family.

9. evian

evian Well-Known Member

Ik, I don't believe it was Sova's POV, he was just stating the general approach of Czech natives to Nigerian folk, & in particular, the general views on Nigerian fradulent emails. You are very right though, and it is ignorant for many to base their opinions of Nigerians solely on what may impact them (internet scams and drug trafficking...) .
    What I believe is fundamentally important though (not just you, but for much of the world), is to disregard how others may think of you based on your nationality. What truly matters is how people see you based on your personality and who you are. This is all that truly matters.
    Jason.

10. Ladis

Ladis Well-Known Member

Nigeria is just far off CR thus people here base their opinions on very little fragmentary info.

11. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

No, I don't believe all Nigerians are con artists, and that's not how I view Nigerians in general. I was simply making a point that I am tired of these scams myself, and it seems as though the Nigerian government could and should be doing more to stop it. In other words, the only harsh comment I was making was about the Nigerian government.

I can't even recall ever meeting a Nigerian, and right off can only name one famous Nigerian (Hakeem Olajuwon, who by the way I think was one of most talented basketball players ever). I do have some friends from other African countries, however, and find them to be wonderful people.

12. ik

ik Active Member

hello ppl
    i am shock to know that czechs are kind of racist especially to nigerians. my problem is that i will be coming to prague by january for studies, but with this development i only pray i enjoy my stay. i will be staying for two years with prague college.

what is your advice for me to prepare me prior to my coming
    thanks

13. ik

ik Active Member

thanks for the advice, i only hope my government listen to people like you. there are other great nigerians, like phillip emeagwali the father of internet and so many others.

14. Zeisig

Zeisig Well-Known Member

You must "thank" to Nigerian drug gangsters who had a base in our country. Some of them speak Czech very well because they previously studied in our universities (perhaps unsuccesfully) and were recruited by the Nigerian drug maffia.

Nigerians themselves are responsible for their bad reputation in the world, though the vast majority of them is innocent.

15. ik

ik Active Member

wow cajzl

i am short of words and very much ashamed to even post a reply. can i know what your govt is doing about it and one more thing how are u so sure they are all nigerians.

i am beginning to imagine the stigmatisation i would suffer from skinnyheads when i start my studies in czech next year

16. evian

evian Well-Known Member

Nazi skinheads are scum, they are down there with rapists, peadophiles, terrorists...
    Thankfully their prevalance in CR (although high compared to other European nations), overall is minimal.

17. Ladis

Ladis Well-Known Member

We just told our opinion on Nigerians, you to know their image in CR. You could (and did) change our view on them (you extended my knowledge about Nigerians). However, it's clear that we know that:
    • not all Nigerians traffic drugs
    • on the other hand, not all Nigerians are the warmest people on the face
    And please, don't call us racists. You are not "better" only because you are black (I suppose it when Nigeria is in Western Africa, I can be wrong, of course).

18. Zeisig

Zeisig Well-Known Member

The reputation of Nigeria is really bad, it's a bitter truth.

19. ik

ik Active Member

hi
    i am sorry if it was hard on you guys to have mention racist, anyway majority of nigerians are not that bad. nigeria is about 150mm ppl, the biggest black nation in the world and third richest nation in terms of natural resources. i am sure it is the country to watch out for in the next twenty years, at least our graduates earn better than most easten europeans and the cost of housing is relatively cheaper.

i am sure i will get a dozen of response.
    u guys r the best in the world
    ike

20. Viktor

Viktor Well-Known Member

Very Good. That means that there is hope after all, and all the pushy, arrogant, vulgar and smelly individuals that came to the US from Nigeria to become the prime rip off Cab drivers will have reason to go back home. Good riddens!

Viktor