One evening in Budapest - what to do there?

Discussion in 'Central & Eastern Europe' started by eso, Sep 4, 2007.

1. eso

eso Well-Known Member

2. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

I definitely recommend a walk along the Dunaj. There is a lot of incredible architecture along the river, including the Parliament building, capital, etc. Also, if you're into the macabre (e.g. kostelec in Kutná Hora), you might try visiting Saint Ishtvan, or what's left of him, namely his right hand, which is on display at the aptly-named St. Stephen's Basilica.

3. Troll

Troll Well-Known Member

Be prepared that it can take several hours. Our "silver-foaming" Vltava is a small brook in comparison with the Duna river and the bridges in Budapest are somewhat longer than the Charles Bridge (speak nothing of traffic).

BTW, the Margaret island (Margitsziget) on the picture is 2.5 km long.

[​IMG]

4. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Do you think the ossarium? It is called “kostnice” (← kost = bone) in Czech. “Kostelec” (← kostel = church) is a common name of Czech villages. As far I know, there is no “Kostelec” nearby Kutná Hora.

5. DUBLINhu

DUBLINhu New Member

Hi if you have an evening I would get on tram #2 from Jászai Mari tér (Pest side of Margit híd [Margaret bridge], and that tram passes both the Parliament and you'll have a full view on the Buda Castle.

I would go and eat either at Va Piano http://www.vapiano.hu/ [brand new Italian restaurant] with very good prices or to Fruccola, right next to the http://www.osa.ceu.hu/ (Open Society Archives) in Arany Jánus u. 32, across to the Red Cross Hungary.

Or I would go to Gellért Spa, so all the way down South with the tram #2 from Jászai Mari tér to Szabadság híd [Liberty bridge] and then you should walk across the bridge to Buda side and as you arrive to Buda you arrive to Hotel Gellért, one of the most well known hotels of Budapest - it's fashioned very much like by the "communists".

You can get back to your Hotel by the bus #86 from the Gellért. If you send me an email address I'l send you full detailed map.

Good luck in Budapest!

BR

Tamás

6. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Thank you for your advices and please continue :)

It seems I will have free evening AND morning :)

7. DUBLINhu

DUBLINhu New Member

Hi if you have an evening I would get on tram #2 from Jászai Mari tér (Pest side of Margit híd [Margaret bridge], and that tram passes both the Parliament and you'll have a full view on the Buda Castle.

I would go and eat either at Va Piano http://www.vapiano.hu/ [brand new Italian restaurant] with very good prices or to Fruccola, right next to the http://www.osa.ceu.hu/ (Open Society Archives) in Arany Jánus u. 32, across to the Red Cross Hungary.

Or I would go to Gellért Spa, so all the way down South with the tram #2 from Jászai Mari tér to Szabadság híd [Liberty bridge] and then you should walk across the bridge to Buda side and as you arrive to Buda you arrive to Hotel Gellért, one of the most well known hotels of Budapest - it's fashioned very much like by the "communists".

You can get back to your Hotel by the bus #86 from the Gellért. If you send me an email address I'l send you full detailed map.

Good luck in Budapest!

BR

Tamás

ps.: http://www.caboodle.hu/tourism (Caboodle.hu is a website offering an unparalleled array of information in English about Budapest and Hungary)

8. DUBLINhu

DUBLINhu New Member

OK, morning:

SPAAAA

you can reach 3 spa-s on the bus line number 86.

From North to South first is Király [king], but it's very local, and unless you are gay I wouldn't go there.
    Second is Rudas ["bary" as in the late 19th century there were some sexual interactions, s the managment put a huge bar across the pool... - that time there was only 1, now we have 5 + 1 (28C, 30C, 33C, 42C and the large one is 36C + the cold water pool with only 11C which is perfect after the steam or the sauna)]

And the above mentioned Gellért.

Though the most well known spa is the Széchenyi [say-tchay-nyi] spa in the City Park (Városliget).

You can reach it with tram # 1, which you can catch on the Árpád híd (Arpad bridge).

9. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Oops! Yes, that's what I meant.

10. Troll

Troll Well-Known Member

You meant kostnice in Sedlec (nearby Kutná Hora).

mathematically:

kostnice plus Sedlec gives kostelec
    :)

11. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Actually, I'd say rather than kostelec is a subset of the set containing both kostnice and Sedlec. :wink:

12. eso

eso Well-Known Member

One more question. My colleague would like to buy Hungarian version of DVD with TV series LOST.

It's because there is no Czech version sold in Czech republic, but Hungarian version includes Czech subtitles! (Bless the global economy.)

So, where in Budapest is best to buy DVDs? Thanks.

13. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

That is a beautiful picture of Budapest and the Danube.