Grad Student looking for input

Discussion in 'Business' started by scfitzpatrick, Oct 31, 2006.

1. scfitzpatrick

scfitzpatrick New Member

I am a grad student with the University of Dallas and we have a project to complete and I am looking for any input possible. Currently we have selected the Czech Republic to market and sell a product. It can be anything but we were told to keep it simple. I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions on something that might be in demand there that might be common here in the US. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

I am not sure it will be of any help, but I can give you a short list of things I am "importing" from the States every time I am going to the CR: maple syrup (and pancake syrup), grape jelly, peanut butter, pecan nuts, canned soups (namely cream of chicken), chocolate chips (all kinds), bottled or canned salsa, starch in spray. These items either are not available in CR at all or very expensive and difficult to find in stores.

3. gementricxs

gementricxs Well-Known Member

Oh, so next time you'll be running your Jana's Importing Ltd. :D :D let me know and I'll order something from you. I'd love to check out those real American cookies and maple syrup.
    :D :D

4. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

IMHO, most American cookies are too sweet (namely Little Debbie brand); Oreo cookies are good (comparable to Disko sušenky, but much larger and with more filling). Maple syrup (imported from Canada) is available in CR in some stores selling healthy food and in some supermarkets, but it is awfully expensive (related to the quality).

5. CU

CU Member

delvita has Skippy Peanut butter. Small problem, a 12 oz jar costs 69 kc. Thats about 3 dollars, in the states it is around 80 cents!

Delvita also has a generic brand ( their own) chocolate chip cookies, which are good and like the ones from home. Affordable also, 20 for 20 kc...

6. BMoody

BMoody Well-Known Member

Brownie mix. Everyone loves brownies and all the Czechs I've met haven't had them yet. Careful, they get addicted quick!

7. gementricxs

gementricxs Well-Known Member

I think they sell brownies at Paneria shops (one is near Oldtown Sqr, close to the Namesti Franze Kafky and the other one I know about is on street 28.řijna down at the Wenceslas Sqr)
    Actually I've never bought it there (it's also pretty expensive), so I can't tell how close is it to your American brownies.

8. BMoody

BMoody Well-Known Member

If they are moist, dark brown, thick, and like a dense cake that makes your mouth water, then you have the right stuff dude!

9. saillael

saillael Well-Known Member

I found only one good supply for coffee, Ebel cafes. It was the only source I found for good Columbian coffee. Couldn't find any in the markets. I found only one Ebel that had take away coffee and that was at the Kafka Museum, although I am sure I didn't go to every Ebel cafe.

They love all things American, including fashion, but they seem to be about five years behind the trends, so an American fashion trend report might be a winner. (Help rid that beautiful city of mullets!)

I went to one fashion show during fashion week, and though it was clearly not showcasing Pragues's most talented designers, we did see many do overs from Project Runway.

Something else that might work is a resale shop on luxury designer items. While they have Hermes, Chanel, and Cartier, etc., they have to pay and additional 10 -15% over our prices.