Accents in English

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Alexx, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

2. Irena M

Irena M Well-Known Member

Thanks!
    It looks interesting. The Phonetic Transcription on the right hand side gives me gibberish though.

3. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

Click on numbers 17 and 18 under 'english'...That is what I grew up with. :D

Please call Stella. Ask her to bring these things with her from the store: Six spoons of fresh snow peas, five thick slabs of blue cheese, and maybe a snack for her brother Bob. We also need a small plastic snake and a big toy frog for the kids. She can scoop these things into three red bags, and we will go meet her Wednesday at the train station.

Prosím, zavolej Stellě. Zeptej se na ni, aby s ní přišla z obchodu tyhle věci.
    Šest porce sněhované hrachy(jsou to ploché), pět husté řižky plišnového sýru a asi svačinu pro jeji bratra, Bob. Potřebujeme také malý igelitový had a žábíčko pro děti. Může dát tyhle věci do třech cervech tašek, a sejdeme se s ni v středu na stanice.

4. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

5. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

Wow. Very heavy Virginia accent :)
    I grew up with number 100 under 'english'.

It would be nice if that website had audio files of native Czech speakers of different regions, speaking IN CZECH!

6. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

Yea, southern Virginia, that was what I heard. My accent was never that thick, but I sure heard it. My accent was noticeable to others when I moved away, people would comment about it. I never realized I had an accent until someone else would mention it. :lol: I've lived away from there so long I've lost most of it.

100....I wouldn't be able to guess a region of the country that comes from.

7. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

#100 has quite a neutral accent. The website says that it its from Miami.
    I grew up in Tampa and people here don't have strong Southern accents for the most part.

8. Ctyri koruny

Ctyri koruny Well-Known Member

135 is I guess the closet to my pronunciation, pronunciation is almost the same but intonation is messed up.. and that's such a posh Dublin accent! Could have been worse though.. the posh Dublin accent is the ugliest thing in the world but the normal one is quite nice I think.

http://accent.gmu.edu/searchsaa.php?fun ... akerid=135

here ya go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR0lFNSCuUs

the first voice is a Dubliner, the second voice is someone learning it.
    The voice of the man presenting it is maybe a posh Dublin accent, but I've been away so long even that I'm starting to miss.

here's the type of accent I hate, I want to hit this guy a little:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5Grg5Kq ... re=related

Because you can hear his real accent buried in it, for example when he says "straaait" like his grandmother from Tralee and then he says again like his grandfather from Belfast.

I wish everyone would talk naturally instead of trying to "better" themselves!