movies with Czech subtitles

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by dzurisova, Mar 8, 2010.

1. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Does anyone know of a site where you can download American movies with Czech subtitles?

or

Does anyone understand how this site works: http://www.allsubs.org//search-subtitle ... k+Up+cs/20

For example, I own the movie The Break Up. It seems that somehow I'm able to download the czech subtitles to this movie. However, I'm not quite sure how to go about linking up the subtitles to the actual movie. Anyone get this????

or

If all else fails, does anyone know a US site where I can order/purchase American movies with Czech subtitles??? I tried Amazon with no such luck.

When I was in CR, I bought about 4 American movies with Czech dubbing or subtitles. I found that watching the American movie in English while reading the subtitles is VERY helpful.

2. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

Don't know about that. But here is a subject that kind of relates.
    A friend got some movies sent to her from Czech Republic, with english subtitles(although she does not need them).
    Here is the problem we encountered....For some reason the czech dvds will not play on an american dvd player. Not compatible. Very weird.
    Anyone got any clues to how this could be?
    I am hoping to be able to see Limonadový Joe with subtitles. :)
    We'll see..

3. meluzina

meluzina Well-Known Member

DVDs are region specific (see here for explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code)

i've never dealt with this,but know people who have - so i'm sure that someone can give some advice - or maybe you can find something through google?

this is the first one i found: http://www.dvdtopreviews.com/article/re ... -code.html

but... somehow i think i read somewhere in the past that on some players you can't do that - or that you can change, but only once? so you probably don't want to change anything until someone who knows what they are talking about gives you some advice :)

4. Petronela

Petronela Well-Known Member

I’m sorry Dzurisova I have no useful info :oops: well maybe one (not really related) but for me when I was learning English worked to read books I have already read in Czech so I knew what was going to happened.

Scrimshaw, you need either region-0 DVDs or code-free DVD player. However in my opinion those are waste of money because you should have no problems playing the European (or any other for that mater) disks on your computer.
    Also, my X-box seems to play any disk I stick in it (so far), PS3 is a little picky but plays most of my disks.
    Cant hurt to experiment a little :wink:

5. Petronela

Petronela Well-Known Member

Ok I lied :eek:
    I do have something to contribute.
    Dzurisova, look at e-bay from time to time. I just did “Czech DVD” search and came up with 9 pages. Most were what one would expect …. a Czech DVDs, but sprinkled in between were foreign movies with Czech subtitles. You’ll just have to sift through it.

6. dzurisova

Thanks

7. jpkrohling

jpkrohling Member

If you already have a DVD for the movie, you can try to use VLC media player and use its "load subtitle" feature. Not sure it will work, as the subtitles are probably for "torrent" version of the movies, but it's worth a try.

8. dzurisova

goodness, I really am computer retarted. But are you saying that if I download this VLC media player, i can turn on the subtitle's feature (select Czech) and then any "torrent" version movie I play through that player will have Czech subtitles?

9. jpkrohling

jpkrohling Member

Well, it sounds like a good feature to have. But no, it means that if you have a DVD without Czech subtitles, you can download the subtitle from sites like the one you found (or opensubtitles.org) and use both together. I'm not 100% sure it works, as I never tried with an actual DVD (though I don't see why it wouldn't work).

10. dzurisova

I was thinking that if my way worked it would be like magic! lol

11. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Time consuming way is to use some software like DVD Shrink to copy your DVD disc to computer, you can remove or change Region 2 (Europe) to other you like, or 0 for world wide.

You can then burn it back to DVD.