PC Software FREE Download

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by CiervoPRG, Jan 7, 2008.

1. CiervoPRG

CiervoPRG Member

Greetings,
    I recently moved to CZ from the US, and would like to share a hint about learning basic Czech.
    A company called Transparent Language released a PC prgram called "BYKI" - Before You Know It
    It is a flashcard and "flash" based program, with photos, audio, typing CZ, and it is all leveled and self paced, it gave me a great vocabulary base and now the other lessons, Grammer, I have nothing to add there.

So the site for free download is here:
    http://www.byki.com/fls/free-czech-software-download.html?l=czech :idea:

2. wissy

wissy Well-Known Member

I've downloaded the czech programme and i am really impressed. It is great for helping with basic vocabulary. I found the audio and the flashcard system very helpful. Thanks for the tip. :D

3. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

Thanks for keeping the info on BYKI current - our good friend on the forum dzurisova first mentioned this resource back in September of 2006 and it has proved to be a very useful tool. Be sure to check out the Language section above, too - it has a lot of useful info.

4. nils

nils Member

I downloaded it and it is great! It is not a tool for learning Czech from scratch since you need to know about the grammar but it is a great tool for extending your vocabulary.

I do not have teacher/lessons for learning Czech and therefore no tests, so I have to motivate myself to learn lists of words (something I always dislike). The "game"-form of this program provides a nice solution for me.

So after playing with the free version for a few days I decided to buy the "deluxe" version. The main advantage of the deluxe version is that it contains 1000+ words (plus spoken example) but you can make your own cards as well. So the program is a great tool for extending your vocabulary beyond the provided list of words. The only disadvantage is that you have to pay for it but it was 'only' $45 (approx Euro 30) (Nasty is that you find out in last step that you have to pay approx $5 tax). But it is not more expensive than a textbook.