Czekia

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous (Czech-Related)' started by Qcumber, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Qcumber

Qcumber Well-Known Member

Why is the Czech Republic called "the Czech Republic" in English, "la République Tchèque" in French, etc.? It's unusual for a country to call itself in this roundabout way. Nobody would call Italy "the Italian Republic", Spain "the Spanish Kingdom", Switzerland "the Swiss Federation" etc. Does it mean that there is no name in Czech - Czekia, Czekya, etc. - to call your country? If such a name exists what is it in Czech?

2. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

After dividing Czechoslovakia you have obvious "Slovakia" and some word "Czecho". A lot of people in here have problems with obvious word "Czechia".

The same problem is in czech - Československo is divided to Česko and Slovensko, Slovensko is OK but the word Česko many people dislikes.

Czechia (Česko) consist of three historical parts: Bohemia (Čechy), Moravia (Morava) and southern part of Silesia (Slezsko). Many people prefer to use Čechy for the whole country, which is not accepted by people living in Morava or Slezsko.

See more about it in wikipedia

3. Qcumber

Thanks a lot, Alexx. To me your explanation is more interesting than the Wikipedia article because it comes from a Czech citizen.

BTW, I have decided to stop calling your country "République Tchèque" in French. I have unilaterally decided to call it "Tchéquie", and use this name in all my writings. :)

4. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

La Tchéquie. No fuj! :(

It sounds like the infamous Cheka / la Tchéka. So we are Chekists. :evil:

Well, I have unilaterally decided to call your country "Sárköziland" (literally "land in the middle of mud" in Hungarian). :)

5. Qcumber

:lol: What an exaggeration!
    I can assure you many French people naturally call your country "Tchéquie", and it is in no way possible to associate it with the Tchéka. It would even sound very odd to those who've heard of it. Tchéquie sounds correct and nice in French. Ditto Czechia in English.
    As for Sárköziland ... :lol: but, as you know, France's name doesn't not depend on one of its president's.

6. Qcumber

Éric BORDIER, Radio-Prague
    (bold's mine)
    Éric BORDIER's mother is Czech. He rents furnished apartments in Prague 1 (RENTeGO). As you can see, the name Tchéquie comes naturally in his speech.

7. BlackBox

BlackBox Active Member

I don't see any problem with Tchéquie and as far as I can tell it is in fact the official name of the country in French (at least I have been using it as such for some time :oops: ). Most French probably don't use it because they either do not know about it, or do not know if it is correct form.

8. Qcumber

Thanks a lot for your support.
    "Tchéquie" is the name used by many francophones, but the official name is République Tchèque.
    If the Czechs decide to call their country Czechia, then, obviously, its official name in French will be Tchéquie.

9. wer

wer Well-Known Member

I have no problems with foreign one word names for the CR (with possible exception of English “Czech” and German “Tschechei”, but that’s another story).

I was taught only “La République tchèque” but I see no problem with the word “Tchéquie”. Especially in French which has a completely different word for Bohemia, so there could be no confusion.

I’m fine even with the Polish solution, they have for centuries one word “Czechy” for both Czech State and Bohemia. In need they use something like “Czechy właściwe” (~ proper/actual/very Czechia) for Bohemia.

10. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

I really don't like to hear the Czech Republic referred to as "Czech" (especially when I know darn well they are pronouncing it "check"). To me, Czech Republic flows naturally, same number of syllables as United States.

Most people over here don't have a problem with the name at all - they still call the country Czechoslovakia. :evil: :shock:

11. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

How about Czecho-Moravo-Silesia? Note the use of hyphenation and capitalization to make sure every one can feel good about it :wink: (of course, then again, someone will complain about the ordering) :roll:

12. McCracken

McCracken Well-Known Member

That is still quite common here too - especially amongst sports commentators.

13. eso

eso Well-Known Member

I see you know about Hyphen war :)

14. wissy

wissy Well-Known Member

How about ....

Morczesilia or perhaps Czesilmoria? :wink:

15. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

How about Silly-Czecho-Morphology?

16. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

perhaps use the initials ČR (like USA) and pronounce it "ch'air"...

no, I don't think so :roll:

17. BlackBox

BlackBox Active Member

Oh, really? Since when french care what we call our country in english? And why should they?
    While I have no problem with calling the country Tchéquie or Tschechien I would not call it Czechia in english, because I think it just sounds silly in english.

French are obviously a bit confused about it, see here
    http://bruxelles.blogs.liberation.fr/coulisses/2009/01/de-quoi-la-rpub.html
    for example.
    But apparently it is in common use, wikipedia even has "Portail de la Tchéquie", I don't think that would be possible in english.

18. Petronela

Petronela Well-Known Member

I totally agree with those who say it sounds weird in English. It really has the “nails-on-the-chalkboard” vibe to it.
    Kind of like when once in a Brno’s pub one local referred to Americans as “usaci”, yep the nails on the chalkboard.
    :roll:

19. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

:) Usaci as oposite of Rusaci ...

20. wer

wer Well-Known Member

I thought the opposite of “Rusáci” was “Prusáci”. :D