Shopping/Shipping

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous (Czech-Related)' started by Petronela, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Petronela

Petronela Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

Following question/scenario is only theoretical because I don’t have anyone in Czech anymore whom I would trust/want to bother with anything like this.
    But the shopping discussion got me thinking….

Scenario: I open checking account in U.S., get a debit card and mail/give it to someone in Czech so they can use it there to buy stuff and ship it here. Of course it would be my responsibility to make sure the account was funded at all times. To avoid legal issues I guess I could make the person an authorized user of the account.

So my questions are:
    Would it work?
    Would they be able to use the debit card at local ATMs to get cash out for cash purchases?
    What other issues could there be with it?

Like I said, just theoretical question but it got me thinking …
    :)

2. jpkrohling

jpkrohling Member

I don't know the specific laws of Czech Republic, so, my comment is more generic than specific to here (Czech Republic).

If the card is on your name, the other person can be arrested by using a third-party card. But if the card is in the third-party's name, then there should not be any problem.

3. Petronela

The imaginary person would be an authorized user so the debit card would be in their name.

I just can’t really think of any “wrong” from the U.S. side, but that don’t mean much because I don’t know much about these kinds of things.
    Same as you I don’t know the laws in Czech Republic. :?

4. eso

eso Well-Known Member

I think it isn't against Czech law if bearer has permission of card holder.

However i see this problems:

- He cannot pay in these cases, where hand signature is needed (majority of shops I believe)

- It could be breaking of bank rules

- Banks tend to cancel card, if it seems there is suspicious pattern in holder's behaviour (Like sudden withdrawal from ATM on other continent)

5. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

I am not sure about that: when I travel to Europe (not every year), I make sudden ATM withdrawals on another continent but my card didn't get canceled.

6. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

as long as you let your bank know in advance that there will be charges in Czech Republic (or any other place for that matter) there will be no problems

7. Petronela

Thank you all! :)
    Like I said, the whole thing was just theoretical, but was curious if it would have worked.

Btw what Glenn said is a very good advice while traveling to avoid unnecessary hassle which may pop-up if your card gets flagged.
    I always call my bank to let them know there may be some off the wall atm/charge activity and give them countries I’ll be in and dates.