Name Day: Denis

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous (Czech-Related)' started by DennisWorth, Jan 16, 2004.

1. DennisWorth

DennisWorth New Member

Hi. My name is Dennis and i would like to know what my Name Day would be if I lived in Czech Republic. I have found out that in Czech my name is spelt with one 'n' as opposed to two. Do i have a name day? I don't know, but i hope so. If anyone is kind enough to reply to my question, could you please reply in English as my Czech leaves much to be desired.(but i am working on it). Thanks. Bye.

2. Janka+3k

Janka+3k New Member

Hi Dennis,

my son is Denis, and unfortunately his name is not in Czech calendar, but
    we celibrate his nameday on 9 October - as it is usual in many calendars abroad and we also found it out in some very detailed calendars:
    9 October - Stefan, Sara and Denis. But last two years as this name became more popular - new calendars show nameday of Denis 11 September together with women equivalent Denisa. So we don´t know what to do - change the annual celibration from 9 October to 11 September or not ?
    Advise me !

Hodně úspěchů s češtinou přeje Jana :)

3. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

In Wiki you find everything: September 11th as Janka has found, but October 9th is also a good day. Choose the one which suits you better.

4. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

If it was me, I think I would pick the October date because of the international significance of September 11th.

5. Alena

Alena Well-Known Member

If it was me, I would celebrate it twice :D

6. Troll

Troll Well-Known Member

Saint Denis (Dennis, Denys, from Dionysius), the bishop and patron of Paris, executed on Montmartre, feast October 9th.