drinking age in prague

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous (Czech-Related)' started by mikey, Feb 16, 2007.

1. mikey

mikey New Member

hello every1! ive got a question to ask all the ppl in prague..... i was just wundering wat the drinking age was, as i am visiting prague in may but im only 17 and would really like to go to the clubs and pubs. i was also wondering if they are strict on ID! and is it worth getting a fake 1?

please message me bak as soon as possable

thanx
    :D

2. eso

eso Well-Known Member

It depends. By law is drinking age 18, but many pubs are rather benevolent. Do you look as 18 old?

About fake id - don't do that!
    1. Czech id card is secured on same level as passport.
    2. This is a crime by Czech law and sentence can be up to 2 years of prison or up to 5 years, if you commit this crime as member of organized group.

3. mikey

mikey New Member

wat about if its an english fake ID???

4. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

Don't recommend 8)

5. gementricxs

gementricxs Well-Known Member

It's not like in UK, it's actually complete opposite. (I dont know where in UK are you from, I've been to London, so i can only compare Prague to London) The difference is really huge.

They checked me pretty often in London. Here in Prague they've NEVER checked my ID in club or pub. You might have some problems with pubs in Haje and Chodov (from my experience), but I don't think you'll ever be in that part of Prague. It's complete end of the metro (and there's nothing to do there and it's pretty terrible there)

Just stay in Prague 1, 2, 3 and you'll be completely okay, no one will ever check you. And if someone asks about your ID, just go to some other pub, there's lot of them.

You can take your fake ID card if you want, most of the people don't know how UK ID looks. (from my experience: sometimes in stores if you want to reserve some table, tv or whatever you're buying they want you to show them your ID. And if you show them your UK ID(I had only experience with US ID though) they're like "wow, that's ID? that looks weird".
    I just wanted to say that you'll be completely okay with showing your fake ID since no one know how the real one look.
    I don't suggest showing that to police though.

As I said before you don't need it, just go to the pub, club and they won't check you.

Btw, if search the forum, you'll find out that this was already discussed many times

6. gementricxs

gementricxs Well-Known Member

If my previous post sounded like I'm encouraging you to drink underage or showing fake ID, I didn't want it to be like that.
    I was just stating the facts how is in Czech Republic.
    I don't recommend you having fake ID or drinking.

And if you do that, try to keep it down. Don't try to join the group of drunken Brits you can see and especially hear every day in Prague. It's unpleasant to other people.
    Thanks

7. Qcumber

Qcumber Well-Known Member

British people have no IDs. They need to carry their passports. What on earth could a fake UK ID be?

8. SMZ

SMZ Well-Known Member

Wow, really? I always figured they'd carry a driver's license to use as their ID, like most US citizens do. That's interesting.

9. Qcumber

A driver's licence is not an ID.

10. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

it is in the US

11. Qcumber

:lol: What about people who can't drive, who don't have a car, who are too young or too old to get a driving licence?

12. Ceit

Ceit Well-Known Member

They're not important enough to have an identity. :wink:

You can get a state-issued ID card that has the same information as a driver's license would have but I think it says very clearly "FOR ID ONLY". I've never seen one myself though...everybody I know has a driver's license, whether they actually own a car or not. What's wrong with using them as ID, Qcumber? They have a your name, photo, address, they fit in your wallet much better than a passport...
    Or does France still use those licenses that are like small road maps?

I think, given mikey's age, he would have a student ID, although those don't work in American bars because they don't show your age.

13. GlennInFlorida

Ceit answered it nicely.
    People who get their driver's license suspended for drunk driving also get state issued ID cards.
    You are generally never too old to get a driver's license (you can be refused one if you fail the vision or written part of the exam, but you will still get an ID card).
    Also, when I say state I mean like the State of Florida. Driver's licenses are a local (state) item, not Federal (US Government) concern (at least so far - there has been talk about a National ID - ugh!).
    Lastly, people who don't have a car - I don't know any - this is the gas-guzzling US :wink:

14. Qcumber

Well, you said it yourself, Ceit - tongue in cheek.
    To me, and I am sure I am not the only one in Europe, this system is shocking. It suggests that if you don't have a driver's licence you are some sort of criminal. Did any US human rights group launch a campaign against this?
    Besides, what proves that the person didn't give a false identity when they applied for their driving licence?

By the way, my ID card is 10.5 x 7.5cm.
    I have never had a car, and I have no driver's licence. Those who have one in my family say it has the same dimensions as an ID when folded. It has three panels because of the various driving licences available (motorbike, car, van lorry, articulated truck). If you have two or three driving licences, they are all recorded on this document.

How are US driving licences?

15. Qcumber

Is that possible? :shock:
    Yet in many US movies you can see passengers riding buses, subways within cities, and coaches, trains between cities. Is it just fiction?

16. Ceit

Ceit Well-Known Member

They're plastic and the size of a credit card. There's also a magnetic strip on the back, but I don't know what exactly it's for...maybe it stores your driving record or something. Or maybe it just looks nice and shiny and provokes the paranoid.

See, that's what I was thinking when I said it was like a small road map. A slight exaggeration, I admit. I've only seen Austrian and Spanish driver's licenses, but I think they're the same - a folded piece of paper with a photo and other information (name, address, type of license etc.) And the paper isn't even laminated or anything! It doesn't seem very durable to me, especially since you don't renew your license as often as Americans do. I guess most people keep the license in the glove compartment with the car registration and insurance?

17. Qcumber

The magnetic strip is for authorities to quickly read the card and have its data compared with their data base to check whether it's a fake card. All modern cards - whatever the purpose - have a similar device.

18. Qcumber

I have never seen two-fold road maps and that small.
    My relatives said a new driver's licence is on the way. It will probably be like a plastic ID with the various licences written on the back and a device for authorities to read it in their computers.
    No, they keep their driving licences, their cars' registrations and their insurance cards in their wallets. They leave the insurance forms in the glove compartment.

19. GlennInFlorida

Of course I am kidding - I do know people who don't own cars but they are few and far between. As for public transportation, it is more prevalent in the larger northeast cities. Here in Tampa, we have no subway (water table is too high - basements are a real rarity here too), no streetcars (except one little tourist line that no one uses), and a lousy bus system. Most busses only run every 35 to 45 minutes and transfers can be difficult because the lines often don't intersect and you have to go all the way to a central "terminal" area to change busses sometimes. To give you an example, before they made some modifications to the lines, for me to take a bus to my workplace (Tampa International Airport - about 3 miles west of my home), I would have had to walk 3 blocks to a busstop, take a bus downtown (about 3 miles east of my home), change busses, and ride 6 miles back to the airport. Because of infrequent schedules, to get to work at 8:30, I would have had to leave my house about 6:30 in the morning. If I missed a bus, I would automatically be 45 minutes late. The lines have changed now so I wouldn't need to go all the way downtown but I would still need to leave before 7:30 and a missed bus would still make me 35 to 45 minutes late. It takes me 11 minutes to drive to work. This scenario is similar for most people here in the Tampa Bay area - our whole infrastructure is geared towards private automobiles - a real shame.

20. Qcumber

Glenn, the USA being a continent-sized country, it's pretty obvious transportation must considerably vary from one area to another. Yet it must be hard to survive where there is no adequate public transport system. At least I couldn't.
    I suppose that by comparison Prague must be to you like a little paradise. :)