citizenship in Czech....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous (Czech-Related)' started by gshivakumarg, Oct 31, 2007.

1. gshivakumarg

gshivakumarg Member

Hello,

If we get Czech citizenship, is it applicable only to Czech or citizen of Europe.?

2. Suniskys

Suniskys Active Member

You'd be part of the European Union, you'd have an EU passport.

3. meluzina

meluzina Well-Known Member

i have no clue as to the basis on which you would be acquiring czech citizenship - this site specifies the requirements:

http://www.en.domavcr.cz/rady.shtml?x=157293

and as a general warning - i have seen "companies" that offer acquiring czech citizenship for you - in my opinion, they're not being quite upfront as, if you read through the requirements, it is not as simple as it might be....

4. brcek

brcek Member

the czech law is absurd, i got the passport because i was born after 1969, but my brother born in 1966 and has't no rights because only my father is czech, is not like italian or spanish than even if one of your grandparents are from there u automaticly get the nacionality :evil: and now if i move there my wife to get trvale bydliste has to learn the language and wait 2 year to get it

5. meluzina

don't even get me started on the absurdity of the czech law - i am in a simialr situation as your brother - with one exception - both of my parents were from czechoslovakia, but my father had taken u.s. citizenship before i was born in 1964 - if he had taken any other citizenship,it wouldn't matter - rather ironic is the fact that at the time my father did take u.s. citizenship, he was classified as "stateless"

6. Dannae

Dannae Well-Known Member

Agree with you all; I heard many opinions stating that gaining Czech citizenship is actually more difficult than getting the US one.
    My friend is from Ukraine; it took her 10 years to be able to file for it - and she was denied at the end. Just an example.

But yes, now if you are a Czech citizen you are also a citizen of EU; there are still some limitations (rights to work etc.) towards "old" EU members but basically yes.

And many Czech people, who leave the country and decide to get a different citizenship, must surrender the Czech one. There are only 2 exceptions: kids born abroad having a Czech parent (at least one) and when you become a citizen of a different country while still married to Sb. through whom you gained your foreign residency.

7. meluzina

the at least one parent rule came into effect in 1969 - prior to that time it had to be both parents - i consider that to be a form of age discrimnation :D

8. Dannae

Dannae Well-Known Member

Agree - this is discrimination but there is nothing I can do about it.

9. mraky

mraky New Member

??? what czech law is absurd because you have to learn local language to get permanent residency? are you crazy ? this is normal and must to learn local language if you wana to be became citizen. Absurd is some people are holding more pasports from different countries. i hope they will cancel this possibility.