Funny New Year story

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous (Czech-Related)' started by dzurisova, Jan 3, 2008.

1. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

On New Years Eve, I told each of our Czech friends individually "Happy New Year" in Czech by saying "Strasný Nový Rok" :oops:

No one corrected me. They must have all had a nice laugh at my expense. :lol:

I found this out today when I emailed my teacher "Doufám že měla jsi strasny nový rok" She had a good laugh as well, but then corrected me. :)

Anyone else have a funny czech related New Year story?

2. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

I probably have several but as we didn't get home until 3am on New Year's morning, I can't actually remember them! Thank goodness for night trams - it took us no longer to get home than normal.

We went to our regular monthly zpívánky in Žižkov, where people bring along musical instruments and everyone just has a jolly sing-song. After much beer and Fernet Citrus, it degenerated into everyone trying to do the twist to Elvis records - not a pretty sight, especially as it was a special fancy dress 'hippie night'! Czechs certainly know how to have a good knees-up!

The organiser had put together a text CD of all the Czech songs we sing, together with the guitar chords, including some that you'd know in America - like Blowing in the Wind and Sloop John B. When I get round to it, I'll save it to a Word document. If anyone's interested in having a copy, pm me and I'll send it to you.

And just to go back to dzurisova's original funny, and not trying to be clever, because I'm never sure what constitutes '2nd position', shouldn't it be "Doufám, že jsi měla strašný/šťastný nový rok"? instead of "měla jsi"

3. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Yes, "jsi měla" is correct.

4. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

Just hope you didn't make a toast to them saying "Nádraží" :wink:

5. SMZ

SMZ Well-Known Member

Good one, Glenn! I've managed to convert several of my czech friends into toasting with "Train Station!" :lol: In fact, I now have to stop and think sometimes how to toast correctly.

Susan

6. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Haha! I think I'm officially switching to "Nádraží!" from now on!

7. Polednikova

I think it'd be even funnier to toast "train station" in English, in England or America. Imagine the turned heads!

It reminds me about the very special toast we do in Lancashire, in the North West of England. If you come from Lancashire, when you have formal toasts at dinners, instead of just toasting "The Queen", we are allowed to toast "The Queen, the Duke of Lancaster" (Lancaster is the county town of Lancashire.) This is because the Queen also has The Duke of Lancaster (yes, Duke but don't ask why, it's too complicated!) as one of her titles. I used to love doing that at big dinners in London - I got some really some funny looks from southerners who didn't know about the tradition.

Just thought you'd like to know that!

8. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

9. Polednikova

Well done! Is there nothing you can't find out about on Wikipedia?! Incidentally, I still don't know how it started and who compiles it. I know anyone can add to it but as we know from sites like these, not everyone knows what they're talking about and how to write grammatical English!

10. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

That is why I usually only modify czech-written articles :) I remember only about two or three english articles I altered.

There is another good project, http://www.wikitravel.org, I often use.

11. Polednikova

Looks good. I'll have to try some editing - there's something in the Czech information that's incomplete and I actually know the answer!